Document Generation

• 15 June 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +7

I have seen that Nintex have introduced Document Generation to their workflows which is great.

I'm new to this action, and would like to understand a little more about this, can anyone help?

I have a document workflow that we use to store all our Policies, Procedures, Forms, etc. The aim would be for any user to upload a document for the business and a approval process to the line manager to accept the document.

Also the document would have Metadata attached to it.

Thank you

Claire Allen 

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hey Claire! Have you checked out the documentation on that action? 

Document Generation 

Let me know if you have more questions about Doc Gen

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hello Claire,

I understood that you have a workflow that triggers a document approval after a user submits a document with some metadata. Is that right?

For this type of workflow you not necessarily need the document generation feature.

Document generation feature basically lets you insert metadata from a workflow and/or a list into the content of a document and afterwards maybe convert it to PDF or merge a couple of documents into one.

There is a great brief overview of the document generation features here: Nintex Document Generation for SharePoint - YouTube 

It's from SharePoint 2016 but also works the same way in Office 365.

But if you enter the content manually to the document and finally want to approve it you can do this easily with an approval task instead of document generation features.

Hope this helps a bit.

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +7

Hello Enrico,

I would like a document approval, once the document has been uploaded.

What I thought Document Generation might be able to do was enable a user to upload the document direct into a Document Library using a workflow. as mentioned I'm new to this action.

We don't want to give permissions direct into the Library as we would loose control over it, so I was thinking of having a workflow that you could allow a document to be uploaded, once its been generated / uploaded into the Library an approval is sent to get the document approved.

Sorry If I'm not explaining myself correctly, any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Claire

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hmm, if you would not need additional metadata I would go for an email-activated document library, making the users able to send the document to the library by E-Mail and trigger the workflow afterwards.

With additional metadata required you could first capture the documents as attachments and have the metadata captured by a form. Would that be enough?

What do you mean with you would loose control over the uploaded document? What kind of control do you need after a user uploads a document?

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +7

The email activated document Library sound goods

what I mean by loose contract over the upload. so currently one person is doing the upload and making sure that the documents are in a correct format, and that the old documents are replaced correctly, which was why I wanted to create a workflow to try and put some control over the Library

Really appreciate your idea's, I will look into these

Kind regards

Claire

Badge +1

I can no longer find the documentation for Document Generation. The above link redirects to 404 page.

Nintex For Office 365‌ Support 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Here you go. The best place to go for this stuff is this top level: Nintex product assistance  From there, you can drill down into the specific product you're looking at.

Badge +1

I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the help.