Solved

Dictionary variable - Append value

• 23 February 2015
  • 2 replies

Badge +9

Hi,

From what I have read, Collection variable will not come in O365 because Dictionary variable is available.

One of the Collection variable operation is add a value to the list.

In this sample, the collection contains 3 values: John, Joe, Peter. To add a value (Kris) there is the Add operation with index as parameter.

I am trying to mimic the same with the Dictionary variable but I am stuck.

In a Dictionary variable, you have a Key and a Value

In the sample here above, it will look like 0 - John, 1 - Joe, 2 - Peter with 0, 1 & 2 will represent the index.

How can I add Kris at index 3 without hard-coding the value 3 in my Workflow as I cannot insert a {Variable} for the Key.

I should miss something very obvious, isn't it?

Best regards,

Christophe

icon

Best answer by andrewg 18 October 2016, 03:56

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Workflow Foundation 4, or the SharePoint 2013 Workflow Manager that is available to O365 is the engine running Nintex workflow for O365 and it only comes with Dictionaries and not collections. This is why you find dictionaries today and not collections. But, hopefully soon we can find collections again using Nintex in O365.

I find Dictionaries hard to work with. And for what you have asked, I only see that you have to create a new dictionary. But this requires you to loop through the existing dictionary and store the values in separate variables. But that would be impossible as you would not know the number of variables or which to use in the loop.

Even in Microsoft's documentation, they do not provide this capability. Understanding Dictionary actions in SharePoint Designer 2013

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

21 July 2015 Update Nintex Workflow for Office 365 - Release Notes Notes the creation of Collection Varialbles for O365 workflows!! Working with Collection variables . I believe now with this option you may want to revisit the solution.