cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Delete an item in list A will delete the same item in list B, how to do that?

Hello,

I have a list A when I create an item in that list it also create same item in list B with same nintex form & info. My question is if I delete the item in list A from the meny item ribbon how can I delete the same item in list B? Is that posible to do with a workflow?

Thank you!

5 Replies
Not applicable

Re: Delete an item in list A will delete the same item in list B, how to do that?

This is tricky, because you only have Create or Change triggers on lists, and I don't think a Delete counts as a change. Good 'ol Sharepoint eh?

Assuming your second list (call it B) has a reference to the Item ID it links to in the first list (call that list A), you might be able to to set up a scheduled site workflow that runs (say) every 5 minutes and loops over all the items in B looking for their "parent" in A. If it can't find the parent it deletes the child in B.

This isn't event-driven, so there's obviously the possibility of a time delay of up to 5 minutes where there could be "orphan" items in B. it is also polling, which is wasting CPU cycles where there is no activity in A, but it might get you going.

If there's a more elegant solution (that doesn't involve having developer access to the server) it would be interesting to know what it is.

Not applicable

Re: Delete an item in list A will delete the same item in list B, how to do that?

BTW, I only have experience of the on-premise version of Nintex. I hope the above still works in O365.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thank you for your answer. I will take a look and check if I can fix it the way you have explained. Its very annoying that Nintex O365 has limited functionality. Hope they soon release a new version with new futures and functionalites.

0 Kudos
Warwick
Nintex Newbie

We all do Ashik I can see Nintex dev's time being stretch when most customers would still be on-prem

Not applicable

Hey, here's another idea.

If you create a column in list B which is a "lookup" type field that references List A, and your "On Create" workflow sets that to the appropriate item ID in List A, I think Sharepoint itself will allow you to set referential integrity rules that will automatically delete a child item in list B if the parent in A is deleted.

I don;t know when that happens, i.e if it happens "live" when the parent is deleted, or at some later time, but it might mean you can do this using built-in SP features without having to use a home built workflow solution.

0 Kudos