Solved

Compare variable (ID) against SP list to see if its in use

• 2 January 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

This is my first time on the Nintex forum and using the tool in general.

I'm under a strict time line and wanted to see how challenging the following would be to build. Thanks in advance.

1. Append a string to create a unique formated ID (LMK-1234-SS)

2. Apply to a variable

3. Compare variable against another SharePoint list (ID List)

4. Does ID exist in the "ID List"?

Yes - genearte new ID

No - write vaiable value to "ID List"

I'm sure this is pretty straight forward, but any pointers on how I would do steps 3 and 4 would be appreicated. Thanks.

icon

Best answer by burked 2 January 2020, 19:12

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @a-aron

This sounds pretty straight forward.  If you have steps 1 and 2 already figured out, steps 3 and 4 would be configured as follows:

1. Query List action 
    - Target the 'ID List' and filter using the variable created in step 2 and the column where the ID's are stored
    - Specify separate output per column (specify the list column where ID's are stored). This will output any values that match the filter to a collection variable

2. Check if Item Exists in Collection Action
    - Using the collection variable from the previous step as the Target Collection, use the formulated ID variable in the 'Value'
    - Output will be a boolean (yes/no) value (Yes if it exists, no if it doesn't)

3. Run If action
    - Specify if Boolean Variable = Yes for the run. This will run if the ID existed in the collection (meaning it existed in the list
    - Nest the actions to create the new ID in the run if

4. Create List Item Action (after Run If)
    - Create the unique ID in the ID list

One note on this, if you want to ensure that the new ID's are not in use, you could nest steps 1-3 in a 'Loop with Condition' action and specify that it will loop until the Boolean variable equals no. The final steps for this configuration would look something like below:

Badge +1
Thanks @burked, I'll put this to the test in a few!