Scenario - Users on a form select a drop down value which I want to set back to blank after every form save
I've seen a few other post how to do it on-prem but those solution don't working in Office 365.
- A blank variable can't be used (error message below)
Some parameters failed the validation check.
- [InputMetaDataXml] : The 'Fields to update' is invalid. Input string was not in a correct format.
- The update item column property can't be left blank
- A variable cant be set to a blank value
If left blank in Update List Item you get the action error
My only workaround is to use a custom "Please select" item and set a validation against that for this scenario, but it wouldn't work in others.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Yup - hit this one before. This is a workaround.
1. Create a Workflow Variable - call it NullText or something similar (with no value)
2. Set the variable you want to blank-out to value NullText
Please explain point 2, as shown in i image above Variable can't be set to a blank or are you saying
Variable1 = (blank)
Variable2 = Variable1
Item Update Column = Variable2
After creating the Null Text variable (Variable1), do not assign it a value.
Set workflow Variable2 to value Variable1
At run time Variable1 has a null value and this can be used to blank out Variable2