Just tried out the Cascading drop Down feature in O365, and I wanted to share the experience
First thing first, why will you need “Cascading Dropdown”? | Because it’s “User Friendly”
Example: create a form where user can choose a value in a
“Country” field then the next field “City” will filter and display the cities
for the chosen country.
Nintex Form for O365
One SharePoint Main List
Two support SharePoint List
First create a support list named Country:
Then create a second support list named City | in the City
List create a lookup column “Country” with lookup to the “Country List”
My main list is named “CascadingDropDown” | it has three
columns | Title | Country (lookup to country list) | City (lookup to city list)
In the ”CascadingDropDown” list in the ribbon choose to
customize with Nintex Forms
This will send you to the Nintex Form Designer view | we
won’t make any big changes to the form just the “City” field control
Double click on the City
field control to bring up the control settings | we will filter the selection
based on the “Country” field control
Save and Publish your form | when adding a new item you can
now choose “Country” and “City” will filter the selections available
Great Works on bringing this cool feature to O365, thank you!
Can anyone shed some light as to why this isn't working correctly for me?
Seems simple enough, and I even followed a tutorial with a similar process.
I was able to achieve the first step, and can see a list dropdown, however I can not get the filter between the two lists to work.
The configuration seems to match but when I do the drop down list is blank.
The only deviation I made was substituting State for country and then using the State to filter an Airport instead of a store.
Also my Airport list has 3 columns to account for the AirPort Code, Description and State.
I,too, have found the cascading lookups in Nintex forms to be a little unfriendly, and more complicated than they need to be. Nintex forms are harnessing Indexed columns only here (generally Title columns) to do the lookup. Here is an example from a current form I am working on:
These are the settings from the 2nd lookup.
1 - ID connected to => this is pointing a lookup column in the current list. The source for this lookup is the Title column of a Cost Unit list. The Cost Unit list also contains a lookup column displaying the Departments the Cost Units belong to. In effect we have 2x indexed title columns here - which is what Nintex forms are using to do the filtering, I believe.
2. Filtered By Control => the first lookup is pointing to a list of Departments (the Title column, again), which was also used as a lookup in the Cost Unit list's Dept column.
The Cost Unit list is our 'master lookup' table where changing Dept selection (control 1) filters the Cost Units (control 2)
I hope this helps.
Thanks for the information. For some reason I still can't get it to work correctly.
In my environment (if you look at the screen shot example) there's a requirement to select the "Source List" which I'm of course doing. That source list is the same list I'm trying to filter from. Not sure why it doesn't just work like the demo because I'm following the steps practically verbatim. It's also very close to the same steps your doing as well.
I find it difficult to believe my list has to be limited to two columns, but maybe that causing an issue with the fields relating to each other. I suppose it's possible there's an issue with the list itself, but it didn't seem like it.