Designing a workflow

• 6 November 2013
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

I want to design a activity as follows :

1. Start Activity

2. Assign the task to the main updater

3. If the main updater does not take action with in 7 days ( in between he may only view his task but not submit to go to the next level ), the activity to be assigned to the covering updater.

4. If the covering updater does not take action within 7 days ( in between he may only view his task but not submit to go to the next level), the activity should go back to the start of the activity ( step 1).

Is this possible to achieve

Lifelonglearner

8 replies

Badge +5

Hi,

This is definitely achievable, but I don't understand the part where by you want to set an SLA to the assignee if he/she did not take action on the task, but then again he/she may only view his/her task and not be able to submit to next level. Kinda contradicting here..

JK

Badge +1

Hi JK,

What I meant was,

We have a data update approval process. In this process the task is initially assigned to the Main Updater. Once he completes the task of updating data , he has to submit it for approval. This signifies the end of Update Activity and start of Approval Activity by another group of persons.

In actual scenario, let us say the task has been opened by the Main Updater just to have a look at what he needs to do . At this stage he can update or just dont do any update.  If choses not to do any update . It is still assigned to him. And for the next 7 days he does not take any action. 

The workflow should then re-direct the task to the Covering Updater. 

Once assigned to the covering updater. He does not take any action for the next seven days. The work flow should restart the activity from the beginning.

I understand there is some concept of Slots, whereby the same task can be assigned to two persons simultaneously and based on the completed action to start the next activity in the workflow by anyone of them the task is treated as closed and removed from the worklist of both.

lifelonglearner

Badge +5

Hi lifelonglearner,

Based on your scenario, the escalation rule is on the Update Activity.

1. When the Main Updater receives the task in Update Activity, he/she can choose to just read and do nothing about it.

2. After 7 days, the task will be redirected to the Covering Updater.

3. After another 7 days, if he/she did not act on it, the workflow will restart the Update Activity again.

If what I've described above is correct, then yes, this scenario is definitely possible with K2. There are more than 1 way to achieve this, but I think the easiest will be to make use of Destination Sets and a Data Field as a counter.

JK

Badge +1

Hi JK,

I want to know if I make use of the 

PLAN PER DESTINATION - ALL AT ONCE (PARALLEL PLANNING) in the Advanced Rule for Destination

With the following settings .

Create slot for each destination checked ( maximum will be two Main Updater and Covering Updater )

Resolve all roles to users checked .

My Questions are

a) Does it mean both the users can access the same task without the application throwing any error.

b) When one of them takes action ,  will the code to Update Status of the worklist be updated for both the users worklist.

Appreciate your help.

Liflonglerner

Badge +5

Hi Lifelonglearner,

Just to clarify:

1. Slots (http://help.k2.com/helppages/k2blackpearlUserGuide4.6.6/webframe.html?destination_rule-defining_slots.html)

This number indicates how many users are required to open and action this worklist item (task). In your config, you have selected to create a slot for each destination, which means that each user will get a unique task to themselves. This will also mean that both users are required to action the task (by default), before the Activity can be completed. (unless you alter the Outcome Rules).

Opening the worklist item (clicking on the task to open the task page) will cause the item's status to change from "Available" to "Open". In your config, each of your destination users will get to open and action on the tasks without being affected by the other.

2. Plan per destination (http://www.k2underground.com/blogs/johnny/archive/2008/07/26/differences-between-plan-just-once-and-plan-per-destination.aspx)

To put it simply, in plan per destination, if you have 2 slots, each destination user will get to run through all the Events in that Activity.

In plan just once, the Events in the Activity will only run through once, regardless of the number of slots assigned.

So, for your questions

1) Yes, since each users will get a slot, they can work on the same task. (If you take a look at the url, the "SN" value is different for each user)

2) I assume when you say "takes action", it meant opening the task page from the Worklist. No, you are creating a slot for each destination user, so one user opening the worklist item will not affect another user's worklist item status.

JK

Badge +1

Hi JK,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  

When you say

1. Slots (http://help.k2.com/helppages/k2blackpearlUserGuide4.6.6/webframe.html?destination_rule-defining_slots.html)

This number indicates how many users are required to open and action this worklist item (task). In your config, you have selected to create a slot for each destination, which means that each user will get a unique task to themselves. This will also mean that both users are required to action the task (by default), before the Activity can be completed. (unless you alter the Outcome Rules).

Opening the worklist item (clicking on the task to open the task page) will cause the item's status to change from "Available" to "Open". In your config, each of your destination users will get to open and action on the tasks without being affected by the other.

How do I ensure that the activity is closed when one of the users clicks on Submit action in the front end application so that the work flow can continue to the next process. At this stage how to control it in the K2 side.

Lifelonglearner

Badge +5

Hi Lifelonglearner,

If your requirement is that the task will be assigned to 2 destination users, but you only need 1 user to pick up and complete the action, you should just set the number of slots to 1.

If your requirement is that the task will be assigned to 2 destination users with the condition of (for example Approve or Reject case):

- all users select Approve action => approval route

- at least 1 user select Reject action => reject route

then you will need 2 slots and amend the Outcome rule with the conditions stated above (http://help.k2.com/helppages/k2blackpearlUserGuide4.6.6/webframe.html?generic_wizards_-_addedit_outcomes.html)

Btw, it may be good that you engage proper assistances from K2 Consulting Services or Partner to validate your design(s) first, before you commit to your users/clients.

JK

Badge +1

I think you can achieve at least most of this through the use of escalation rules.