Solved

Can you give us strategies to cope with throttling errors in SharePoint Online?

• 13 July 2016
  • 1 reply

Badge +11

Recently, I have been hitting more and more throttling related errors in SharePoint Online ... finding workflows stuck in Suspended state, and unable to continue due to the density of demands on the workflow environment (probably).

It's explained to some extent here:

How to: Avoid getting throttled or blocked in SharePoint Online

But I'd really like to know what strategies we could employ when building workflows to avoid this pitfall. I have been adding 1 minute pauses (or longer, as required) when workflows have become suspended. But always feel that this should only really be a remedial solution.

Is there any specific advice we could get with the following types of actions to help reduce their impact:

1. Assigning Approval tasks

2. Updating List Items

3. Using List Lookups to set Workflow Variables or list item values

4. Parallel actions

....anything else that could overload the system.

icon

Best answer by callum 22 November 2017, 00:50

View original

1 reply

Badge +9

Hi Shaunlub,

There is an article specific for Workflow in SharePoint Online: SharePoint 2013 workflow throttling and performance in SharePoint Online and Project Online

There is a list of patterns that do not work well in SPO, such as aggressive lopping, or many workflows waiting for list changes on a list rather than wait for current item change.

Are you able to share the throttling errors that are pushing your workflows to suspend? There are several types of throttling both in Workflow and SPO itself so handling these can be different depending on your case.

Thanks,

Callum