Solved

Can I have an initator fill out part of the form and then the same form goes to someone else and they fill out rest?

Badge +5

It seems like the person can just approve or reject a task. I want the next person to click a link in the email and bring up the list form in edit mode not the task form. Is there another action besides assign a task that I'm missing?

icon

Best answer by greenawayr 17 October 2017, 17:35

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Nope I guess you would like to simulate something like the InfoPath form.

But this can be done, however not directly.

First of all answer yourself a question - do you want to proceed the approval using tasks, or events on the form? If tasks, then the answer to your questions is "no" - requester fills in the form, but then, the approval, is done using tasks' forms. Of course, approver can go to the item, edit it, but the approval is expressed via the task.

On the other hand you can achieve the solution you described - you can put some fields in one panel, other in second panel. Then set rules - first, to be shown only when the form is in a "New Mode" (assuming it is filled by a requester), and the second panel when a form is displayed in the "Edit Mode", or - when a user, that is editing the form, belongs to a specific SP Group - up to you.

Then you can add a field on your form, which can be ex. a dropdown with options "Approve"/ "Reject" so that the approval is expressed inside the form. Add also a hidden field, call it ex. "UnpauseWorkflow" - you have to pause your workflow until approval is expressed (wait for a field change in item). After the field is changed, simply read approval status and go into conditional branch.

Also, in the second approach you need to create email notifications by yourself as well - there will be no task actions anymore

If you need more assistance give me a sign

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +5

I am a little surprised that this is not something that people do a lot. To pass around a form and fill out portions of it. I can see how you describe it can be done, but it's definitely more difficult then using a tool like Winshuttle. I guess if use the task form and edit that, I could ask for the extra information there, correct and then have those fields update the list and in turn update the list form. Does that sound like a solution?

Winshuttle had an action called simply action that wasn't really approval, just to edit the form and continue it on the process. But I don't think Nintex has something like that.

Thank you for the quick response.

Badge +5

In my opinion, this is achievable via Nintex. It just a matter of how you define what you want to see in the tasks form.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Of course it is! There are multiple scenarios possible.

The other one is that you customize your task content type by adding additional fields, and then, once the task is completed (or tasks, depending on action you use), you query the information stored in each task, transform it accordingly and update the original item the way you need.

This is just a matter of deeper analysis of your needs and then tailoring the solution. But believe me, Nintex and SharePoint are really flexible and extensible so I doubt your scenario is not feasible.

If you need more support contact me.

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

It absolutely is achievable, and there's a few ways of doing it as ‌ has highlighted. The original items fields can be populated from a task form, so you can export your original form and import it into your task form if you wish, then re-arrange it as you wish and hide or delete sections you don't want to show, or disable the controls. I tend to take this approach to it as it fits in naturally to the workflow process.

Badge +5

Yes, I'm working on a solution like that now. I worked in Winshuttle before, so i just need to think a little differently with Nintex. Thanks evereyone!!

Badge +5

Hi ‌,

Just a note for you to check. In SharePoint On-Prem, Nintex Task Form will only take List Item Properties that exist in List Columns.

Badge +5

I am on Office 365. And I did notice something. That when fields are filled out on the task form and submitted and even though they are connected to a list column, the list column will not get updated. Is that normal? Because I next user in the process being entered on the task form, but if it doesn't populate the list, then I can't get to it. Either way there are other fields that I would like to capture in the list off the task form.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

did your user have edit permissions to the list item?

Badge +5

Well I have full control and right now i'm every user in the process. I can tell you this, i'm importing the form and then add the task approval field because it is required. No errors, just doesn't populate field.

Badge +5

I just tried to add a field and connect it to a list column and still won't work. I'm going to put in a support ticket.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I was about to ask if it was connected to the column on your list, but sounds like it is. Why don't you send a quick screen grab of the control config as an example of the issue, see if we can spot anything