Can I dynamically change number of assignee's of an approval task after it's started?

• 9 May 2019
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I have a requirement where my customer would like to be able to add additional assignees to an approval task after it's started. I mentioned it would be easiest to terminate the workflow, restart it, and add the additional approver's names the second time after it starts.

They don't really like this idea because if one or more of the existing assignee's have completed their approval task in the first workflow instance, they would have to "re-approve" with the second instance and they're trying to avoid that. They would like all of the original workflow tasks to stay intact and to simply "add" additional workflow tasks on top of the ones already assigned.

I told them it's not possible, but thought I would reach out to the community to see if anyone had any clever ideas I could use to achieve this. Maybe create a second workflow that could be run manually that would create the new tasks? But how would that impact the first approval workflow action.

Looking for ideas...

Cheers!

1 reply

Badge +17

@jeffoliver1000  when in doubt go with your gutt.  Out of the box this is not possible, but as you were eluding to, this is something that can be architected in or build around. I would not recommend it becuase it means that the entire process is built based on the poor assumption that the proper people weren't notified the first time which is a business process issue.

I would suggest they use delegation or escalation if needed for this to get it to the next person, but if they want to include additional people, then starting over is the best route.