Solved

Built new Nintex Form, now asked if old InfoPath forms can be viewed, searched

• 23 December 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +8

I built a new form in Nintex Forms for Office 365 and put it into production and now a request was made by the users to be able to search and view their old forms previously completed in InfoPath 2010 on SharePoint on-prem.

What is the best option for this?  Has anyone encountered this situation before?

There are over 6000 items from the previous version and I don't want to overload the new SharePoint Online list / library with old items.

I do have access to the important data stored in column, rather than have to parse through the InfoPath XML, so that is a plus, but I still don't know if I should move it into SharePoint Online.  I am wondering if the best plan is to store that historic data in a data warehouse and keep it off SharePoint Online.

icon

Best answer by plamping 9 January 2020, 22:59

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,

Nintex forms for O365 can only display data stored in SharePoint lists and libraries.
Badge +8

Thanks.  I do not require that the data be displayed in Nintex forms.  I only want it to be available to search and display in SharePoint, on a page or in a web part.  Maybe I could import it into a list but I don't like having that many rows (over 5,000) in a SharePoint list.

Badge +8

I decided what to do.  I am going to export all the old form data into an Excel spreadsheet.  Then I will format it so that all the details is in 1 row, with the employee ID in 1 cell and all the data of the previous history in another cell.

I will upload this spreadsheet into a new SharePoint Online list.

In my new Nintex Forms app, I will add a lookup based on Employee ID to display that data when the employee ID is selected.  Now the managers can view the employee history before entering a new form.

The tricky part will be combining everything into 1 cell, including data from multiple entries for the same employee.  Once I get everthing into the list then the lookup is the easy part.

Badge +8

uh, 1 more thing ...

It was too tricky to combine everything into 1 cell.  What I did instead was create a separate list and called it our "Archive" and I filled it with all previous forms and rebuilt the workflow to add all newly completed forms to this Archive.  To make sure that users can only see the forms that apply to them, I had to create columns with names of users who could access that item, and then created a filter to display only when that column is = [Me].

It works okay, but it does require maintenance and there are some other concerns I am working to resolve.