Best Method or Strategy for List Item Archive in Office 365

• 21 April 2016
  • 4 replies

Badge +6

There seem to be some really great resources for archiving with on prem Nintex does anyone have any good resources or thoughts on performing similar actions for Office 365?

Archive Item with Workflow History - YouTube

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello,

You can do many of the same things that were displayed in that video link you posted by the one and only Vadim.   There are many strategies that could be used, but it probably would be best to tailor the solution to your specific needs.  Where as you could take data from one list and store into another as to save it, you can also use things like built in Versioning to keep track to changes to items in a list as well.  If you had something more specific I could probably get more specific, but hopefully this just gives you the idea that yes a great amount of things can be done in O365 as well.

Thanks,
Mike

Badge +6

Ultimately I am trying to move items older than X date from one list to another.  Since Office 365 does not have a move or copy action I am coping the attributes I wish to preserve and creating a new item in an adjacent list with identical fields.

The issue I run into is I hit the http outbound limit of 5000 requests an hour when doing so (since each copied item contains roughly 40 list columns I am trying to backup)

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Right on. If you haven't already, vote on the Copy List item feature to be added to O365 here: Copy List Item – Customer Feedback for Nintex   Hopefully this is something they will eventually implement. 

Sounds like you are moving a good amount of data and there are third party products that could assist with this type of thing as well.   I know out of the box Nintex is good and cost effective, but if you do have any migration tools at your disposal they should perform this functionality.   Using a web service might also be doable but I haven't had time to try it on O365 to see if its all there for use, but might not hurt to check into it.

Thanks

Badge +6

Does anyone know what constitutes an http request that counts against that threshold?  I put a pause after item creation in a "For Each" Loop after doing an Office 365 List Query to find archive items beyond a date threshold to try to prevent that from occurring but regardless of the length of the pause I still seem to hit the threshold, just after several hours instead of within a specific hour.

Example would be (normally without a pause the failure might occur 43 minutes into the workflow) but with a pause to limit the number of items being created I get a failure at the same number of items created later in the workflow (say 2 hours and 43 minutes in).