cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Asterisk on a label for a SharePoint list required field moved to 2nd line after adding indent to label, how can I get it to move back directly after the field name?

Jump to solution

Here's an image that shows the problem. It's a Label control, I added an indent to the formatting and now the required asterisk will not position properly.

I've tried taking the formatting off and now the asterisk is stuck on the Left margin, 2nd line of the label. Any tips appreciated.

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Asterisk on a label for a SharePoint list required field moved to 2nd line after adding indent to label, how can I get it to move back directly after the field name?

Jump to solution

You might be able to make the label control wider and see if that causes the asterisk to pop back up into place.   Give it a try and let us know.

Thanks

Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: Asterisk on a label for a SharePoint list required field moved to 2nd line after adding indent to label, how can I get it to move back directly after the field name?

Jump to solution

I finally ended up re-creating the label to remove any formatting and just added extra spaces before the label's literal. I'll try the suggested fix above and let you know if it worked or not.

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I'm seeing this in O365 when I change the text of my label (rather than using the 'default' via only associating the Label Control to the associated List Column control).  In this screenshot, I've got two fields/columns: "Name First" and "Name Last", both required in my List settings.  When I add the Label Control for 'Name First' and change the Text to appear in the label, the asterisk is put below the label text when the form is rendered.  If I just associate the Label to the List Column and let it default, it works properly.

This seems like a bug....?

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi, Mike - thanks for the reply, however this didn't work.  I've got tons of space on my label control and it's left justified, but when I enter in text other than the column/field name that the label is associated to, it wraps the asterisk regardless.  Here's a screenshot of my design and the resulting preview:

Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Hi Christie,

That is strange!  Do you have any custom CSS on that label control?

Thanks,

Mike

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

No custom CSS on it!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

One other thing, if you happen to press the ENTER key after you enter your label text, you'll see the * jump to the next line as well.   I figured it was worth mentioning as I think it would be quite common for people to hit the ENTER key after entering this text even if they do it on accident.  This may very well be the cause.  Make sure to delete all whitespace after the text you enter here and do not press ENTER.

Thanks!

-Mike

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Thanks for this too -- but no, it's not a carriage return either

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

Hi Everyone,

Labels wrap text automatically when they run out of space.   Type a long sentence into a label and you will see this functionality.  This is what is happening I believe in this case as I was able to get the * to do as you describe by shortening the width of the label and making the text longer.   See if making the label slightly wider fixes the issue.

Thanks