Solved

Assign task without sending email?

• 17 January 2017
  • 9 replies

Badge +3

Hi,

Wondering if it's possible to assign a task without sending the assigned to person an email? We have a task list which will be creating quite a few tasks so the list will be managed frequently and email notifications are not required.

I could use create item but then how does the workflow continue once the item has been marked as complete?

Thanks,

Jesse

icon

Best answer by TomaszPoszytek 17 January 2017, 23:15

View original

9 replies

Badge +6

Hey Jesse,

it depends on what you would like to achieve with the workflow. You could simply use the "Create list item" action to create tasks in a task list, in this case no E-Mails will be send. But in this case the workflow of course won't wait for the tasks to be completed.

If you need to use the "Assign task" action or "Flexi task" action there's no way to disable the E-Mails I think.

Best regards,

Jan

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can achieve that  You can create a task item, get its ID and then add action "Wait for the event" on that list, waiting for the task you created to be for ex. 100% complete, or to have a specific outcome - so yes, your workflow will stop until the task is updated accordingly.

However the "assign a task" or "start task process" actions don't have such functionality as you have on premise - you cannot decide whether or not to send a notification. You can only decide to send or not reminder.

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Another feature we'd all like to see brought over from on-prem

Badge +1

Just Click "None" and Save. After that task will be created but no one get task notification.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Would be great if this would be possible but the question is related to Nintex for Office 365 where the mails are always sent.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

How many potential assignees do you have? If it's a group of people that you can handle I'd still stick to the task action to allow them to have all tasks in their workflow task view instead of using any plain list items as tasks.

Maybe that solution is a bit too "plain" but if it's really all just about the E-Mail notification for a group of people I'd still use the task action and create rules in their mailboxes to move the notifications to recycle bin or wherever they want them to be.

Personally I always think that the task assignee should decide if he wants to be notified or not and create mail rules accordingly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

But hey - look at my answer - you can create a task without using any of Nintex "task actions" - that way you will still be able to track task outcome, set Workflow status and so on. User will as well still see the task on "My Tasks" view.

THE ONLY difference will be that such task will not show up on a workflow details page.

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

‌ do you find any from the answers as a solution for your question so that you could mark it as correct? Or have you found a better solution you could share with us?

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +3

Thanks Tomasz. I decided to go with creating all the tasks in a task list together without the email notifications, and this was preferred by the user as they could see an overview of their upcoming tasks etc.