Solved

reduce time waiting for Generate Document and Adobe Sign

• 12 August 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +8

I recently developed a workflow to generate a PDF document and send it over to Adobe Sign for signing. It is designed to have a manager sit with an employee and they both fill out the form which generates the document and they have to wait for the workflow to finish and Adobe Sign will send the document to the manager for signing.  It works, but it takes 4 to 5 minutes to complete the part between filling out the form and receiving the Adobe Sign email.  This is a long time for a manager to sit there with an employee doing nothing.

We are looking for ways to reduce this time.  Any suggestions?

I don't think we can have the manager pre-populate the form and receive the Adobe Sign email before the employee shows up, because we want the employee to fill out a few fields in the form.

icon

Best answer by plamping 15 August 2019, 23:11

View original

4 replies

Badge +17

What type of form is this and what is the signing for. It seems that you are wanting to capture a signature at the same time as the form. You could use the Adobe Sign aspect with the template where everything was captured at the same time within the signing event. 

By this I mean it would be initiated with the manager, creating a new form with employee name and then getting the signed email. From there the employee can fill out their section, and then sign. The manager would then fill out their section and then sign. Both can be done during one signing event.

Badge +8
What type of form? We have 2: an employee voluntary resignation form, and an employee discipline form. In both cases, we want it all to be populated and then signed. The manager will initiate it, with the employee providing some information (such as a reason for resignation), and then the manager will receive the email and the employee will sign.

I actually made some progress on reducing the time between completing the Nintex Form and generating the document in workflow. The trick? Put everything you need into variables in workflow first and then do the Generate Document action and in the Word template use those variables (rather than referencing "Item Properties" which requires a list lookup).

I am going to keep working on that and I think it will suffice.

But are you saying that the employee can fill out sections of the PDF as seen through Adobe Sign? I have not seen instructions on how to do that. That might help. How to do that?
Badge +8
After extensive testing, it seems the fastest time possible to run a bare-minimum Generate Document in Nintex Workflow for Office 365 is 1 minute and 30 seconds. Add to that 30 to 40 seconds to have Adobe Sign process the document, and the total time is at least 2 minutes between completing the Nintex Form and receiving the email from Adobe asking to sign the PDF.

Better than the 4 to 5 minutes that I first experienced, but still not ideal. We have to have the employee input a few pieces of data into the form, so we cannot have it pre-populated by the manager and have it ready for signing when the employee walks in. If you know of how to do it that way, that would be the solution.
Badge +8
After discussing with our team, we decided not to use Adobe Sign, as it would cause too much waiting time for the manager. Our store managers cannot be kept away from store business for long to deal with employee issues.

We decided instead to implement the new Signature control in Nintex Forms new responsive designer. It was tricky to implement because of some current limitations with the new responsive designer (especially limitations on use of lookup functions for variables & rules), but after a few months we developed several workarounds and now it is implemented in production. It works nicely. The store managers can bring the employee in and have the form filled out and signed within a minute or two, then a Nintex Workflow converts it to PDF using the Generate Document action. We have 2 different apps using this now and could have more in the future.

I will go ahead and accept one of the answers as a solution, because it did improve the time, even though we did not implement it.