how to get previous value of a list item in Nintex workflow?

• 4 December 2017
  • 11 replies

how to get previous value of a list item in Nintex workflow?

11 replies

Badge +4

Hi Rajadurai,

I think you can use the webmethod "GetListItemChanges". It will return an xml file that you can split to check the specific value of your document.

Regards.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Hi,

In Workflow settings --> Conditional Start option gives you the current and previous values of a column, here you can check current and previous values of a column/field and then decided whether to run the workflow or not when an item is edited (if you want to trigger the workflow on item change).

Thanks,

Krishna.

Badge +4

Hi Krishna,

I can't see this option in Office 365.

Regards

Badge +9

Hey Pierre,

This option is only available for Nintex on prem, but it is currently in development for O365. Check out the roadmap

https://roadmap.nintex.com/ - under the In Development tab is "Conditional Start for SharePoint List Workflows"

Badge +4

Hi Chadd,

Thank you for the roadmap, I didn't know about that.

So, the only way to have the previous value is with the webmethod "GetListItemChanges" ? Or there is another action ?

Badge +2

The downside of the Conditional start option is that it is a syncronous action, which means that if you have more than a few checks, the form will not close until all the checks have been made. I have an example of 13 conditional checks which results in 40 second waiting time until the form closes.

Badge

Hi Krishna,

Thanks for the post.

I am new to the Nintex and i was trying to solve one requirement from our business user, which was including a Notification alert based when single column value is modified.(This is SharePoint 2013 and a custom list).

Your Post helped me and I applied the same logic. But only single difference is that in Nintex workflow, you can easily get in comparison of column value i.e. for comparing previous and latest value. e.g. Title (Previous Value) and Title, attaching image to understand.

Badge +3
this does not work in nintex workflow for office 365 right?
Badge +1

@cdsommerfield  Was this ever released for Office 365? I still do not see that option under conditional start. 

Badge +9

Correct, this does not work for O365 yet. They have conditional starts but don't have it where it compares values. I built a workaround on this by using a wait for change in list. I put it through a loop and had it loop through until the condition was met.

Badge +3

No, apparently it is not. I ended up having to build the functionality myself (I'm not a developer, btw). I added a column to the list for "Previous Status" (my requirement was to keep track of changes in status and run actions if a specific status was the previous status). Then I had the workflow update "Previous Status" to the current status at the end of the workflow when status is changed. The end result is having a previous status available to compare with the changed status.

Would really be nice to have this functionality built into the product to be able to check previous values outside of conditional start as well.