Workflows crashing

• 12 September 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge +5

Since migrating from Nintex Workflow OnPrem to OnLine, we seem to have constant issues with workflows suspending for no reason. There is no email warning, as the onprem version used to have, so unless a user contacts me or our legal department contact me, I have no idea the workflow errors.

Is it just our installation or are other users our there experiencing issues with Nintex OnLine?

I  was a big advocate of Nintex Forms and Worklfow ONPREM but I find the ONLINE version to be very tempramental.

I would appreciate any feedback.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Michael,

The o365 version can take a bit to get used to after having used on-prem for everything prior.  It really has been catching up over the past few years, but there are still some gaps.   When you say suspending - do you mean throwing an error?  The one thing about the online version is that it can start to queue up when too many requests are sent off which causes the workflow to essentially suspend (this can be caused by actions that loop continuously and result in too many requests).   This may not be what is happening in your case if a specific error is occurring, but I'd need a bit more detail to analyze it.

Thanks

Mike

Badge +5

Mike, there were about 3 or 4 workflows started. If is cannot handle the requests....then it is a problem for Nintex to resolve. My biggest issues is that there is not warning. With on-prem, if a workflow errored or crashed....I got an email notification and could check and rectify. Now with Online....you get nothing!!!

Badge +9

Hi Michael,

When you come across a Suspended workflow instance, is there any error information logged in the notification bubble:

Typically this would be one of a few issues, such as a problem contacting SharePoint from the workflow, a problem contacting one of the Nintex services from the workflow, or a configuration problem. For some of the internal types of issues these messages are unfortunately not always useful (if it is an error in a Nintex service we will try to return the most useful information we can).

If you can share this info when a workflow has suspended either here or via DM we may be able to shed a bit more light on what is happening.

Regarding the notifications (of status change), unfortunately Workflow in SharePoint Online does not currently have any in-built notification/change events such as the ones that existed in the previous workflow engine ('SharePoint 2010 Workflow') that the Nintex On-Premises product uses.

Thanks,

Callum

Edit: You may or may not be aware of this page as well: Checking out the new Workflow Health pages | epmsource (It's not a notification but it does give a site wide status summary).