Workflow - User Profile Service - Manager details not returning

• 24 February 2020
  • 9 replies

Hope someone can help, and that this hasn't been covered before. 

I am writing some very basic email workflows, that call for the Initiators' Managers' Name and Email to be used.

User Profile Service is on and trusted. The Workflow does not fail. But no emails are sent. 

{Workflow Context:Manager email address}

{Workflow Context:Manager display name}

I have also setup a REALLY simple test workflow that should return Manager details within an email message body directly to my work email address - this does not fail, but neither does it send the email? Is there an obvious step I am missing? 

9 replies

Badge +12

@Keith-EHA .....How you are getting the manager's email & display name? Also, what kind of variables you're using to store respective values?

As this is my first attempt at Nintex Workflows I was initially expecting (and hoping) a Workflow would simply pull through the data using the default Workflow Context options. This works for 'Initator' etc, but not for manager. 

Thinking I needed a Var, I updated the Workflow to include vars to do the Manager lookups. I then used a Send an Email and called the vars using:

Insert Reference > Workflow Variables > 'userManagerName'

Insert Reference > Workflow Variables > 'userManagerEmail'

It's intersting that the Workflow does not fail, but does not seem to run either. A duplicated workflow removing the Manager references returns emails everytime. 

Is there something other than activating User Profile Service that needs to be done from Nintex > Sharepoint > AD that successfully looks up the Manager details?

Badge +12

@Keith-EHA ......try below steps:

1. Using Initiator, get the manager and save it in single line of text

2. Using single line of text from step # 1, get the display name

3. You can use single line of text from step # 2 in the email's To field

I don't fully understand the use of Initiator to call Manager details. Here are screenshots of what I have just now to test the use of User Profile Serivce to get manager name and email...

I suspect there maybe an O365 or Sharepoint issue - I am not an admin within my organisation, so have to request permission changes / access grants etc. 

Badge +12

@Keith-EHA ...If you're issue is with O365 then it's better if you post your query in that forum....this is mainly for on-prem.

Ah I see,

I didn't realise this was SP-on prem forum. We have are fully SP-online/O365.

Thanks for your help tho ?

Originally this was posted on the nintex/sharepoint forum, I have been advised to repost here...

This relates to O365 & Sharepoint Online:

Hopefully a simple issue - I want to use the Workflow Context Reference: {Workflow Context:Manager email address} to populate an email address.

But the email does not send.

The workflow does not fail and User profile service is on. If I remove any reference to 'manager' the email will send (to Initiator for instance). If I include 'manager' in the message body, the email does not send.

Is there something obvious I am missing?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Did you follow these steps using an account with tenant administrator privileges?

Originally, with my SharePoint Admin privileges, I did the same steps but there were no warning/error that it did not succeed.

Ah ok, thanks @v-tmasenko 

I am not an Tenant Admin. My IT dept ran the 'Trust It' option for me. Perhaps this is the issue. 

I will request that I am made a Tenant Admin and test the simple workflows.