Solved

Workflow Stuck at "Started"

• 29 May 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge +4

Hi everyone !

I have a huge problem with my list workflow in Office 365.

First of all, here is the description of my list workflow : 

I have 4 repeating section in my forms, so 4 XML. Each XML have multiple date control.

In my workflow, i put each XML as a key in a dictionnary.

After this, I make a foreach with the XML at n key in the input.

In my foreach, I parse the XML to get every date and I put them in another dictionnary called "wvCurrentDictionnary".

I put another "foreach" for each date and a parallel action to gain more time.

In each parallel action, I do some stuff like take value of a lookup, take only the day of the date, etc ...

At the end, I Create an item with the action "Office 365 Create List Item Or Document Set" with all the information of the current Item and others.

After the parallel actions finished, the foreach go for the next dates.

After all the dates are treated, the foreach go for the next XML.

My problem is that sometimes, and I really don't know why, the foreach of the dates doesn't continue. The Workflow status is stuck at "Started" and nothing happens. 

And sometimes, it continues and I have no problem at all.

Have you seen something like that ?

Regards,

Pierre Nouet

icon

Best answer by greenawayr 27 June 2017, 10:18

View original

6 replies

Badge +4

It looks like this is the action "Office 365 Create List Item Or Document Set" that is the cause of the problem.

Badge +4

Soooooo, I changed the action to the other one "Create List Item".

It works great BUT I can't create an item in a folder with this one.

When i Add a field to the action, there is a field "Folder" but I don't really know what this field does. When i select the name of an existing folder or its ID, it just creates the item but not in the folder. 

I tried with the folder's path and with the name AND the Content type ID, but still nothing.

So I used the action "Office 365 Create List Item Or Document Set" just to create the item in the folder and after, I use the action "Update List Item" but I have the same problem than before : Sometimes, the "Office 365 Create List Item Or Document Set" does nothing. The workflow status is still "Started" without any errors.

Is there a way to create an item in a specific folder without using this bugging action ?

Thank you.

Regards,

Pierre Nouet

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi

Did you find a resolution for this?

I have an O365 workflow, it's looping through a bunch of attachment controls and pulling the attachments out and putting them into a library using the Upload to O365 action. It seems to get to around 13 or 14 items and then just stops. The workflow status is still on "Started", but the workflow is no longer continuing.

Badge +4

Hi Ryan Greenaway

I didn't find a resolution for this.

But I used the action "Create List Item" instead of the O365 action. And it works, but not with the folders.

I used the folder to manage the permissions foreach item. 
Now, I make unique permissions foreach item, this is really bad i know but I can't do anything else.

I also use the "Upload to O365 action" for some attachments but i didn't test with that much attachments.

I'll test with 15 attachments next week to see if I have the same issue and I'll come back to you.

Regards.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I believe I found the issue here to be O365 resources.

I had an item with some 50+ attachments and the workflow was looping through copying the attachments into a library using the O365 Upload to SharePoint action. It would generally copy around 14 items and then fall over. I found this article on safe looping and removed the "Log to History List" actions and inserted a "Pause for Duration" at the end of each loop, pausing the workflow for 1 minute. It now means means my workflow is slow, but at least it's completing. It's all part of the measures MS have in place to stop a workflow hogging resources on a tenant. I would suggest that the "Create List Item" action is less resource hungry than the O365 action (for whatever reason) and therefore you don't encounter any safe looping safe guards. 

Badge +4

Oh yes, that's what i thought too. And I tested it, but my workflow would last for more than one hour so i could't take it.

But yes, that's a solution.