Solved

Why does approving a task create a new document version in the document library?

• 21 March 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

I have a rather simple workflow on a document library. When a new document is created or modified in a document library the workflow initiates. In the workflow I basically have only a few workflow variables to set, and then a "Start a task process". This sends a task to each person in a list, with a task with only one outcome. With this task each user 'sign' that they have read the document. The workflow ends without waiting for tasks to complete.

That all goes well.

A user opens the task form, marks he has read the document, and saves. That also goes well.

BUT - the document somehow gets a new version no - and that again kicks off the workflow...

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks

Thomas

icon

Best answer by rangelin 21 March 2018, 18:04

View original

4 replies

Badge +4

Question: On your task form is the save button configured with a Button action of 'Save' or 'Save and Submit'? I just looked at a Request data form that I am working on and mine is using 'Save'. I am wondering if yours might set to 'Save and Submit' and maybe that it why it is causing the version number to increment?   -Randy  

Badge +3

Thank you for your reply. Indeed my task form had a 'Save and Submit' and changing it to the 'Save' action took care of that problem. Now I am just searching for why that is? Why does Submit mean that it updates the document?

But, problem solved - THANKS

/thomas

Badge +4

Thomas,

Glad that worked. I also searched just because I wanted it to be clear in my own head. Here is a on post on this: http://vadimtabakman.com/nintex-forms-save-or-submit.aspx

Vadim is talking about the difference between the two but in his case he is using a form. The "Save and Submit" button is necessary for his example because he wants the form to kick off the workflow. In your case the workflow is already running and you just want it to save the data and not kick off another workflow. I think the key is the "Submit" as it means that it updates the record just like you went to the list and clicked edit on the record and saved it.

You see the same difference in Nintex Workflow when you use "Update item" vs "Set field value". Update item will set a value in a field but will also update the record therefore causing the workflow to kick off. Where as "Set field value" will update an item without causing an update to the record.

That is just my humble understanding as I am learning myself.

Thanks and happy coding,
Randy

Badge +3

Randy, very helpful and thank you for taking the time to explain. I did see Vadim's article and I believe you are right about the update/set field difference. The reason it tricked me was, that my first approach to this simple workflow, was to let the workflow wait for all approvals. When it was configured like that, it didn't update the document version for each task approval. Or i didn't notice at least. The thing is, I need to have people sign that they have read the document (the documents are safety procedures, and we must document that everyone sees these). So a task might be sent to 400 persons, but before they have all read it, there might be a new version. But the workflow did not kick off then, probably because there was an existing workflow running. So either I had to find a way to tell a workflow to end when a new version was created - but that seemed difficult. So I believe that letting the workflow end and just check in on the tasks was the best way. Now I just need to find a way to complete the task without submitting....

Well - the good thing is that I am learning new Nintex things every day

Thanks again

Thomas