Web Request - Get Multiple Property Values from Response

• 16 July 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

On a new responsive form in O365 I have a Web Request control that validates a postal address. I get a response with details about the address including City, State, Zip, Zip+4 code, Latitude, Longitude, and others. I can pull any single element from the response in the Label text and Value text properties of the Web request, but I need to be able to process many of the elements of the response.

18850i0FF6C5534C488F9F.png

My thought was to set the Value text property to a concatenation of all the elements that I need, and then to parse it out into the different fields on the form. But I can't seem to combine elements in the control property. There is a JSONPath syntax that theoretically would allow this, but it does not appear to be implemented by Nintex:

$[*].components.(city_name & ', ' & state_abbreviation)

Is there any way to get more than a single element from the Web request response?

Dan

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Hi,

I don't think it works in that way, you have to use multiple Web Request actions to query each value.

Where as in Nintex for SP13, we can query multiple nodes in a single Web Request action, but not in Nintex for Office 365.

Badge +1

@kchaluvadi Really? That's disappointing. So I'd have to call the exact same URL 15 times to get my 15 values while all the values are returned every single time. That's really bad behavior when calling a web service, especially when it's metered or charged per call. I'm hoping you're wrong and someone else has a solution, but I suspect you might be right. 😞

The Web request control seems almost useless then. So it's only good for getting a list of simple text values? That's a use case for a sample demo, but not very common for a real application. I hope Nintex considers enhancing this control. Maybe allow multiple variables to be set from different JSONPath expressions. Or better yet, make the whole JSON response be available so that its elements can be accessed with dot notation in other parts of the form.