Solved

Wait for field change office 365

• 26 January 2017
  • 9 replies

Badge +5

Hi, i recently added a trial version of nintex for our office 365 sites. I am developing a workflow which does not use task. In this we have a line manager approval. Once user submits the details the workflow should wait till the line manager approves or rejects the request then it moves on to director etc.

how do i do that ? 

icon

Best answer by TomaszPoszytek 26 January 2017, 08:39

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi!

This is quite easy. First you have to create a field, for example a choice field for keeping the outcomes. So it will have at least two values from which approver will be able to choose: Approve, Reject.

Then you need to use wait action‌: Wait for Event in List Item . Your approver then visits the item's display form, then goes to edit form and in that form chooses appropriate option from you choice field. Before he does it your workflow is waiting. After - the wait action is executed and then you need to query your item to get the outcome. And then, based on the outcom you use the action: condtional branch in office 365 and develops your further logic

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can as well create a custom form using infopath or nintex forms online, however in both cases logic behind is the same, you can only create more attractive interface and for example - use conditional formatting for hiding or disabling fields in the edit mode.

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +5

Thanks Thomas,

i can set when an item is changed in the event and list as my list

May i ask what is the Related Item used for ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

On the task view/ edit form it holds and shows a link to all items for which it was created. So for example, when you run a task action in the workflow for a list/ library item then in "related items" you will find the URL to that list/ library item.

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge +9

Certainly recommend using a State Machine workflow to deal with this scenario. Has a state machine for each approval with the current state being persistent between workflow instances by saving the state to a list column. This way you just have an If check each time the form/list is edited to check if it's been approved yet, if it has it continues process if not it completes.

Wait for Action should be avoided at all costs, especially in Office 365.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

‌ is this bond to performance issues?

Badge +9

yes all of the above when it comes to O365  - performance, service reliability, best practice design, service throttling, design flexibility

Badge +5

It you use the Wait Event in List Item to "changed" it does not seem to matter what field is changed...it is not waiting specifically for my Approve or Reject!!

All I want is a simple solution to wait until Specific Field changes from its current value. If the current status is "In progress" and the Nintex Form is edited and the field changed to "Approved" then the workflow can continue. This is so frustrating....much like most of Nintex OnLine!!!

Badge +5

Why can't Nintex reinsate the function that was available in the on prem version. I have a from which requires three (3) sequential approvals. So I need to wait until the GM Approval = Approved, then move to wait for IT Manager = Approved, then finally CFO Approved....you solution does now work in this instance. I cannt understand why Nintex did not replication the same Wait Until Field X = Y action from the onprem....was easy and efficient,. How do you suggest I do this using the new Online Actions?