User Guide

Is there a comprehensive user's guide available for the Forms designer? I am running App Version: NFO 2.0.1.4.  I have already looked at the information here: https://help.nintex.com/en-US/office365/Designer and I'm thinking there must be more detailed/advanced information available. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

7 replies

Badge +7

I would go to the Nintex University and check out the online training, unless you have a very specific question, it will be hard to anwser on this forurm.

Thanks for the tip.  Is the University online training the thing that you relied upon the most during your learning process or did you also utilize other resources?  Here are a couple of specific questions that I have at the moment.  Bear in mind that I am coming from a SharePoint InfoPath background and looking to see if Nintex forms provides similar capability.

• Are there Action rules, as opposed to just the Formatting & Validation ones?

• Are there User Roles, whereby a set of userids can be assigned to a role which then has the ability to do certain things within the form that other roles cannot?

• Can the items of a Choice control have values that are different from their display labels?

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
•Are there Action rules, as opposed to just the Formatting & Validation ones?
A. What sort of actions were you looking for?

•Are there User Roles, whereby a set of userids can be assigned to a role which then has the ability to do certain things within the form that other roles cannot?
A. Does the isMemberofGroup runtime function help with this?
https://help.nintex.com/en-US/office365/Designer/Functions/isMemberofGroup.htm

•Can the items of a Choice control have values that are different from their display labels?
A. Can you please explain what you mean here?

•Are there Action rules, as opposed to just the Formatting & Validation ones?
A. What sort of actions were you looking for?

One example would be to display an informational message to the user if a certain combination of option buttons are selected across several different choice controls. Another example would be a submit button which sets the file name for the form about to be submitted based on certain things the user selected within the form.

•Are there User Roles, whereby a set of userids can be assigned to a role which then has the ability to do certain things within the form that other roles cannot?
A. Does the isMemberofGroup runtime function help with this?
https://help.nintex.com/en-US/office365/Designer/Functions/isMemberofGroup.htm

I suppose SP security groups could be setup to achieve the same goal as the InfoPath User Roles. Thanks for pointing me to the isMemberofGroup function.

•Can the items of a Choice control have values that are different from their display labels?
A. Can you please explain what you mean here?

Suppose you have 3 radio buttons in the control with the following choices: Red, Green, Blue. Can the values associated with those choices be: 1, 2, 3 respectively?

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
One example would be to display an informational message to the user if a certain combination of option buttons are selected across several different choice controls.
A. Can be done with a rule to unhide the message based on the condition.

Another example would be a submit button which sets the file name for the form about to be submitted based on certain things the user selected within the form.
A. Cant be done but a workflow could run after submission to rename the file based on the form input.

Suppose you have 3 radio buttons in the control with the following choices: Red, Green, Blue. Can the values associated with those choices be: 1, 2, 3 respectively?
A. Without real context as to what you are trying to acheive I can still say that this is possible.

Another example would be a submit button which sets the file name for the form about to be submitted based on certain things the user selected within the form.
A. Can't be done but a workflow could run after submission to rename the file based on the form input.

Given that rules cannot perform actions how would you achieve the following (based on an actual InfoPath form I developed for our Accounting Department some time ago). When user submits the request form a variable is set inside the form indicating it's current status. The form has to go through a number of approvals by different entities (e.g. Accounting Officer, Budget Officer, etc.) and the form uses the Status variable to determine who's turn it is. As each entity clicks their approval button, that person's userid and the current date are recorded inside the form for audit purposes. When the form finally reaches Completed status nothing else can be done with it other than to open it and see the history of what was done.

A. Without real context as to what you are trying to acheive I can still say that this is possible.

Having the values be different from the labels that the user sees makes it a lot easier to write rules for that control. Suppose one of your choices is "General Ledger (GL) Account", do you really want to have to type that out every time your writing a rule involving that control or would you prefer typing a '3' instead?

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
For an approval process you would use a workflow
When the form is submitted a task is assigned to the first approver.
When they approve the workflow moves on and assigns a task to the second user etc.

The second point is not possible with Nintex Forms.