Use Repeating Section as Reference in Email Notifications

• 24 June 2017
  • 7 replies

Hello All,

I'm pretty new to Nintex Workflow/Forms for O365 and I'm working through an expense request workflow. I'm using a repeating section on the form which has a field for Cost, a Description, and an internal code for our Accounting department. The whole repeating section is attached to a plain text multi-line column on the list. There are two issues I'm having hopefully someone can help with:

1. The cost field isn't formatting as currency. (I originally added a column called "Line Item Cost" which was a currency field and was dragged into the repeating section). Even after the item has been saved, the numerical value isn't showing as currency.
  2. I've looked up numerous community articles, but can't wrap my head around converting the XML output into a table or other usable form to use in email notification references or in the list itself. I know I need to use Query XML, to translate the XML into another form stored in a variable, but I don't really understand what to put for XPath query, or how to adjust the formatting of the output.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I recommend this post about the currency issue:

https://community.nintex.com/message/47925-re-is-there-anyway-of-formatting-numbers-as-currency-on-nintex-365-forms-yet?… 

As for your XML question, can you be specific about which part you're not sure on? If you can show me which post(s) you're trying to follow and be specific about where you're hung up I should be able to help! I have personally found Vadim Tabakman‌'s post to be one of the best on the topic:  

For the currency issue: I found that post and was see this as working fine inside of a workflow reference, but I'm not sure how to apply an inline function on a repeating section inside a form so it displays as currency when viewing the list item. If this is possible, how would I apply an inline function to a form field used in a repeating section? See the screencap below for a visual of what how the repeating section is being displayed on the item view form.

For the XML, I followed that guide to the letter and it's working as intended, parsing the XML into separate comments on the Workflow History. I would like to turn this into a table which can be displayed in a list column, or know how I can reference this in an email notification. See the output I'm getting below.

Thanks for the help, and let me know if you have any questions or need additional information.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I admit I'm not well versed when it comes to the currency issue. I've seen it and I know it's a sticking point for many though. As for your XML to table bit, here's a write up on that:

From Manfred. He details how to do it in an email, but it could also be modified to put it in a column of your list to give you the pretty view there as well.

Perhaps ‌ could be of some assistance with the currency piece? She's a whiz.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Aw, thanks!

Unfortunately i have the same issue when working with currency in such ways, to a point to where I've taken to just sticking a "$" manually in front of the fields and then converting them after they come out of the form, via WF.

Courtney Vargo wrote:

I admit I'm not well versed when it comes to the currency issue. I've seen it and I know it's a sticking point for many though. As for your XML to table bit, here's a write up on that:

Repeating section as html table in mail 

From Manfred. He details how to do it in an email, but it could also be modified to put it in a column of your list to give you the pretty view there as well.

That was one of the other posts I had seen which looked promising, however Manfred was showing this process in Nintex on-prem, not for O365, and Query XML did seem to have the same choices (there's no option for "Processes Using XSLT"). When I use NFFormData as my source for the query, the //RepeatingSection for XPath query, and return the result as text to a variable, when using the variable as a reference in an email I'm unable to publish because: "The request message is too big."

Is there anyway to use the parsed output of the Workflow History? Since I set that up and it seems to provide a readable output, it would be nice to reference that, but I've found no way. If this isn't possible, what's the point of outputting to Workflow History? It seems like someone would have to know to look there for that information, and most of my users aren't going to start digging.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Rhia, thanks for the info. I was trying to avoid that since field type and formatting is something provided by default inside SharePoint, it seemed odd to me that an add-on product wouldn't support this. It seems especially odd that currency fields work fine outside of repeating sections. Either way, I guess I'll manually configure this.

Badge

I am also interested in this. All the blogs are talking about the on prem nintex and nintex 365 does not have process XLS option.

I will be needing this for multiple purpose as we commonly output repeating data into body of an email for approval requests.