Update SharePoint Online List on Workflow Task Approval

• 16 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi

Let me start by saying I'm new to Nintex and probably trying to walk before I can crawl!

I'm trying to create a simple leave approval process. I have started by assigning a task to a user for the approval. This works. I also have a send an email back to the requester to advise of the approval. This works. What I cannot get to work is for the linked SharePoint Online list to update with the new status of "approved". I have tried the "update list item" and "Office 365 Update Item" actions with no success. Clearly I'm not configuring correctly. I've read many articles and cannot identify my error.

Hoping someone can help me solve this one:)

Thanks,

Rachel

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi,

You should have a "status" column on your list, and after use the action "Update List Item" to update the column "Status" of your current item.

And you should also use the action "Set Workflow Status" to updates the status of the workflow instance shown on the Workflow Status page

Thanks for your reply Nico:)

I had a status column in the list already and was trying to update using the "Update List Item" action with no joy. On your suggestion I have now added the "Set Workflow Status" action and that works beautifully. No need for the "Update List Item" action it seems...??

Maybe you can help me with another question now also? How do I get the task approver added back into the SharePoint list?

Thanks

Userlevel 2

Hi RGoud

Task approver is the last person modifying the list item, as the user modifies some list properties while approving the task.

How I do this is by capturing the "modified by" into a variable called "varModifiiedBy" as soon as the task is approved, on all approval outcome branches seperately and then use "update list item" to update "Approver/Assigned To" column using with "varModifiedBy" variable

regards,
Ashish