Update List Fields From Form Repeating Section Data

• 22 November 2019
  • 4 replies

I have a form with repeating sections, which allows the submitter to enter details for multiple products, and multiple markets related to those products (e.g. details for Product Name A - Argentina , Product Name A - Chile, etc.). I've managed to clean up the form XML (using the Regular Expression actions) and dump into a column, and now I'm left with a block of XML - see screengrab.

What I want to do now is separate out this data to update different fields in different lists - e.g. for Product Name A, I want to create a line item in the Argentina list called, "Product Name A" and update all the appropriate #'s (e.g. Retail, Wholesale, etc.), and then do the same for the Chile list, then repeat for "Product Name B", etc.

How do I go about locating and extracting just the data for a specific product in a specific market from the XML to update a specific list?

Ā 

5620iB4A645AA92274858.png

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
No need to manipulate the Repeating Section stored value into a formatted arrangement. Instead in your Workflow use the Query XML action with the non-default option to split the result into individual Collection variables. Then use a For Each action (with incrementing the index at the end of the loop) and walk through each element in the array.

The XPath Query Builder (accessible via Workflow Configuration Settings) will help to create the path to identify each column.
Userlevel 6
Badge +22
If you search for Parse Repeating section in this community you will find numerous posts on how to do it.

Thanks Simon. I totally have this working, but it's working using the cleaned up XML in my screengrab. Above, v-tmasenko is saying there's no need to do this, but I couldn't get it to work by just pointing to NFFormData. I'd prefer to not clean the XML, but it sounds like maybe v-tmasenko's referring to Nintex On Prem? (Note: I wasn't sure whether to post to "SharePoint" or "Office365": is "SharePoint" specifically for On Prem SharePoint?). 

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
NFForm data is in XML.
A repeating section is in XML
If you embed xml into xml it needs to be encoded.
The only way to avoid the clean up is to connect the repeating section to a multi lines of text column configured as plain text. This way it will not be encoded and therefore no clean up will be required.