Solved

Tasks that have been open for a long time - Nintex Workflow for O365

• 2 April 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

We are planning on utlizing tasks for an approval process. The process already exists in a legacy app, so we are basically recreating the tool with Nintex workflow for O365.

There are some cases in the original process where a submission takes a very long time to be fully approved. The approval process could (at abslute most) take up to a year to fully approve.

My question is, how long can a task stay active? Would a task be able to stay active that long? I know that SharePoint removes workflow history after 30 days, would that play a part as well?

I was planning on using a state machine, then only having the workflow run on submission, and not stop until all approvals are completed. I really don't want to run into a case where the workflow is terminated or anything before the process is completed.

Any feedback or guidance would be much appreciated.

icon

Best answer by SimonMuntz 3 April 2020, 02:36

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,

The linked article below states inthe Complete an Approval workflow task section:

“After your workflow instance has completed, you can review the events recorded in its history. (You can access the record for any instance for up to 60 days after the instance completes.)

60 days after the workflow is completed / cancelled, the timer will run and delete the following workflow record.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/All-about-Approval-workflows-078c5a89-821f-44a9-9530-40bb34f9f742?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US#accessfor60

So I would expect worflow history and tasks would not be deleted until the workflow is "completed" and is older than 60 days.
If its older than 60 days and not completed it should not be deleted.
Badge +3

Thanks for the reply!