Solved

Switch value not hard-coded?

• 9 September 2016
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Is there a way to have the switch check for a value that is not hardcoded? I have a requirement where the users want emails 7 days before a task is due, 1 day before, and the day of. I am using one list workflow to accomplish this, and currently, there are three run ifs (that go one after the other). One looks for today == dueDateMinus7, the next for today ==dueDateMinus1 and the last one today == dueDate. I'd rather have this be a switch based on which of the ones "today" equals, but there's no "Advanced Lookup" capability for the "Switch Value" fields.

icon

Best answer by greenawayr 9 September 2016, 17:02

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Why not issue the approval task on DueDate-7 and then use the reminder function in the approval action to send the reminder?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

So, here's the full scope. We needed to be able to account for changing due dates. So, a site workflow runs daily and looks for today to be one of the "reminder dates" we've set it to calculate every time it runs. If today is any one of the special dates, it kicks off the list workflow, which is then responsible for seeing which special date it is and then sending the appropriate email. We're not using the  "Assign Task" action anywhere.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Ah right, unfortunately the Switch will only evaluate hard coded values. You could use Set a Condition actions, but they will be similar to the Run If.