Sharepoint field holding many User values / How to assign as approvers

• 3 April 2014
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

I have a field on my Sharepoint Columns that holds User information.  It has been configured in Sharepoint to hold more than one user value.  The reason: Submitter of the document will select many AD users to be the approvers of the document... and may wish to have document reviewed by numerous people.

The workflow is triggered by hand and the value held in the field (semicolon delimited list of AD users) is available when configuring the "Manager Decision" user action.  However, seems like the only option for participant is User, Group, or Role.  Attempt use the field cause the workflow to not behave as desired.

Attempts to pass as "User" fail to look up the user.. (probably since the look string is all the users selected by initial submitter).  If the multi-selection field contains only one user name... it works.  Once more than one, failure.

Group and Role do not work either, and that's understandable.  This set of user is not an AD group.. nor a role.  It is the decision of the document author on who to send this document out for review.  The selection is defined in the moment and the information held  / communicated to K2 within the SharePoint list column.

Is this functionality  support? If so, how?

If not this way, what is the way for an approver list to be completely dynamic, in that the set of users is determine over the life of the workflow itself?  Or, at least it's determine within the document creation process, prior to check in / submit into SharePoint.

Important fact is the 'approver' is NOT a single user.. not an AD group.. not a role look up.. but rather a list of users defined by the originator of the workflow.

Thanks

Scott

2 replies

Badge

Hi Scott,

I do this in a few processes; pretty much identical use case.

• Within the destination rule for your activity, select "User" (as opposed to Group or Role).
  • For the actual destination (where you were dragging your User field out), first add the "Split" inline function (under the Text category). For the Text parameter, add your User field (the one containing the ; delimited list of users)
  • For the delimiter, enter ; 

Now test the process. It should work!

HTH,

Tyler

Badge +9

This almost works for SP2013 but there seems to be a step missing.  In SP2013 I only have two fields available for the user information column, and that is user IDs and names. Both semicolon delimited.  Neither of these work in K2 as a destination user, so you have to do an additional lookup of somekind, but I'm having some difficulty figuring that part out.

I get the core concept... lookup the users by their IDs and get their domain/usernames, as K2 seems to prefer.

But the execution eludes me...

Like there's a method in user management SO for sharepoint to lookup by IDs and has those usernames, but it returns as a list.

Anyway, some assistance would be appreciated.