Solved

Save and Continue, without Workflow?

• 8 September 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge +5

Ok, so when I saw the new Save and Continue button option I thought it was exactly what the users have been wanting for a long time - save their work on the form then continue working on it (or not), but not Submit it for workflow processing.  

The form I am modifying is a Financial project approval form, so up until now the user fills in the form, clicks the submit button and the item is created and the workflow for Approval / Rejection processing is initiated.  Apparently the Save and Continue button does much the same: item is saved to the list, workflow started, but then the form is re-opened onscreen for the user to continue editing even though the workflow has now been started. 

I'm obviously missing something - how can I allow the user to save the form but not have the workflow initiated until they click on the Submit button?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by lakshminarayana 8 September 2017, 06:10

View original

6 replies

Badge +9

Is it your workflow will run on each time when item modifies?. Set your workflow settings to run workflow as 'Conditional' (based on some condition like run only if some field value equal to some value), so it wont allow your workflow runs every time when you saves items. Workflows will always run based on your settings.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

‌ the feature that you mention could be an good enhancement for Nintex Forms. You could publish it on www.nintex.uservoice.com

This current feature does not consider to start or not a workflow.

For starting or not, one or several workflows we have the "Conditional Start" options on each workflow definition.

Badge +4

Hi,

I suppose your workflow starts on create and/or on modify item

So you have to manage a status and update it for exemple like this :

- when you press save & continue status = draft

- when you press submit status = submit

And test the status at the beginning of your workflow

Unfortunately we don't have conditionnal start in 365 (you can vote for it in the uservoice) so i use a run if action

You can also make your test on some field values as ‌ said

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can also use the "Filter" action, so if the specified condition is not met workflow will automatically get terminated. This is the most recommended approach.

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Gerard Hyland have you resolved your issue? Is any from the above answers helpful thus you could mark it as "correct"?

Regards,

Tomasz

Badge

I, too, am confused about the button control options. Save, Save & Submit, and Save & Continue all seem to do the same thing. They all submit to the list and kick off a workflow, if there is one. I often need to have different behavior for the button the user sees depending on whether it's a new item, an edited item, or an item being sent out for approval. I know how to hide/show buttons based on views, but that only seems to help with changing the button label. All button actions seem to be full-on submissions. It would be great if this was more clear and you could easily configure behavior and post-click re-directs through the UI for each button control.