Solved

Responsive forms - best way to add "help" text?

• 16 May 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

I'm pretty new to Nintex Forms! How are you all adding the "help" text that would traditionally be added to the column Description in a SharePoint list?

I am building a responsive form that uses a number of panels, each containing a number of controls. I'm using rules to show/hide panels.

In order to add help text into the form, I'm adding Rich Text controls. But this results in what appears to be an editable field for the end user - when they mouse over the Rich Text, the control has a white background against the grey of the panel. I've also been using some Rich Text controls without any text to correctly space the help text to sit under the appropriate control in the row above.

The attached picture hopefully gives more detail! Thanks in advance for any advice.

icon

Best answer by philipplucas 16 May 2018, 17:18

View original

8 replies

Badge +11

Hi Sandra,

I normally use the regular controls description which could be exactly what you are looking for. Just click on your control and the properties window should open at the right side of your window. Enter some text inside the "Description" property and see if it is sufficient for you.

In case your description then shows some HTML tags as well (happened to me before) just double click the control to see all the settings and enter the descirption there.

Cheers

Philipp

Badge +2

Thanks Philipp, I don't know how I'd missed that! Question though, how do I go about putting html into the description, e.g. if I need to have a link in the text?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hi Sandra,

With responsive forms, you are locked down with the formatting options mainly to keep things consistent.  e.g. no matter who is designing the form, the colour scheme/fonts etc will be the same.  However, that doesn't really help you here!

Here's a suggested workaround.  Instead of using a panel (which usually has a different background to the form background), you could lay the fields out without a panel.  That way they keep the form background (default is white) and when you hover over the rich text field, you won't see a contrasting background.  You can still create a label to group your fields.

Also you don't need to create a "fake" rich text field to right align your helper description.  You just have to hit the right arrow.

Hope that helps.

Badge +2

That does help, thanks Chris!

I need to keep the panels because I'm using them to show/hide different sections of the form. But I'll limit the rich text to only the help text that requires formatting, and leave the rest as Description text.

How did I never notice those move arrows? Doh!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Always a pleasure to help out a fellow Kiwi Sandra

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @sandra_nz,

I am the Product Manager for Nintex Forms and I am on the lookout for people to try the new Responsive designer. We have made a lot of improvements to the designer and would be good to get your feedback.

Would be interested in trying out the new designer? It can be enabled in your tenant and would not impact any other forms. Only that you would see an additional designer selection.

Please send me an email at euan.gamble@nintex.com - looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Euan

Badge +2

Many thanks for your kind offer, but I work in a large organisation and would need to go through too many levels of approval to get that enabled in our tenant! :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @sandra_nz,

Not a problem, I completely understand. I can invite you into my tenant if you wanted to have a look? This will be rolling out soon and will appear in your Office365 site, so perhaps having a look early may be beneficial?

Cheers,

Euan