Solved

Remove edit permissions after submission

• 19 August 2016
  • 8 replies

Badge +5

I'm looking for a little bit of best practice / guidance here.

When a form is submitted, I want to stop the initiator from editing the form to avoid people changing details after it has been through the approval step.  I do this by setting permissions on the item to read-only for all users.  However, after that it appears that the workflow can't update the status, as I assume it's still running under the profile of the initiator and thus loses the ability to update. 

Suggestions please? How do others stop the user from changing the form once submitted?

Thanks,

icon

Best answer by Warwick 24 August 2016, 02:32

View original

8 replies

Badge +9

One option is once permissions are restricted, you then use the Office 365 Update Item action which can use different credentials (an account which does have edit rights to the list item) to updates the list.

Badge +5

Thanks for the suggestion Warwick.  In this case the List is CreditorJustificationV2, so I assume the field will be CreditorJustificationV2, with a field type of Workflow status.  But I now get an error on field/type/content and workflow gets suspended.  So what/how do I specify the field and value for the Update Item / "Field To Update"?

Badge +9

Here's the help page link for that action - Office 365 update items

There is a section in the action for the fields you want to update on the item, just need to match up the field type

Badge +5

The problem seems to be that the action Update Workflow Status updates a number of fields including both the workflow and the status field (field with List name) on the list item.  When changing the list item to read-only to stop the user modifying the item after it has been submitted, the Update Workflow Status breaks when trying to update the list item field as it has no permission to do so given the workflow runs under the initiator's credentials.  I can manually update the item status field using the Office 365 Update Item, selecting the field, type of URL, and updating with text, but that doesn't change the workflow status.

At this point I'm seriously considering having a do the following:

1. change permissions on item to read-only
  2. get item approved by manager
  3. change permissions allow submitter edit
  4. update workflow status
  5. change permissions deny submitter edit

but that's an ugly.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs to:

3. update workflow status
Badge +9

Put that one in an App Step and it should work

Badge +9

Doing that change permissions will probably take about an hour in Office 365, the Nintex actions to set permissions are horribly slow and can take up to 30mins to complete a simple change permissions.

Badge +5

That was the solution, thanks! I'd missed that function when scouring all the actions previously. So now it's

3. Inside App Step function [update workflow status]
Badge +3

Hello, 

I am using on-prem Nintex 2013 and need to make item read-only after submit.  can column value be still be set and approved by manager?