Solved

Regular Expression to extract 'Modified By'

• 8 August 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge +6

Hello, 

I have an approval that is assigned to a SharePoint security group due to shift based workforce - assignment to the group allows flexibility so that whoever is on-shift can respond swiftly.  

Only problem, the Approver Name reported back via task is the name of the SharePoint Security group, not the individual who approved the task.

I've managed to get this kind of working using the Task 'Modified By' attribute, but the value returned is: 

[{"Editor":{"Title":"Surname, Firstname"}}]  

Wondering if anyone would be able to help me with a regular expression, thank you.

I tried following this blog post, but got a bit lost...  https://community.nintex.com/t5/Community-Blogs/How-to-get-Task-Comments-and-more-in-Nintex-Workflow-for-365/ba-p/76494  This seems to be the correct way to approach this issue.  If anyone knows of a step-by-step tutorial would be great.

Thanks again.

icon

Best answer by SimonMuntz 9 August 2019, 05:18

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,

When using the Query List action the results are put into a collection variable and that is why you are seeing the result that you are.
Next step is to put the collection variable through a For Each Loop action to extract the name and put it into a text variable.
I know this sounds a bit like over kill but trust me it works.

Now use the Variable with the name in it where ever you need it.
Badge +6

Thank you Simon, I ended up fixing with the help of Leigh today, with a Replace substring in string action where there was only one approver required from the group.

However I do have another workflow where all members of the sharePoint security group are assigned the task, so I will definitely use the For Each loop in this situation.

In case anyone else needs help with this I've attached the pictures below.  The regular expression suggestion in the another post is not feasible as it isn't standard.   Thanks again Simon.

Badge +6
I can't edit my reply. Unfortunately this didn't work. I thought apply each loop would only be required if multiple people are to approve the one task. However, in my workflow, although one person is to approve each task, there are multiple tasks. Seems the collection grows with though they are separate. Each task adds a new approver name to the collection. I will try the for each loop and see if I can get that working.