Solved

Referencing the Created By User Name

• 2 April 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I would like to reference the user who created a new item in the email of a task. If I put in the reference to the from the item properties, it will be displayed as the claims based authentication (i:0#.f|). I thought maybe if I assigned it to a variable first I'd be able to pull the user name property from field but that doesn't work. I've tried with both a text variable and a person variable. Is there an easy way to pull the user name from this field?

Thanks,
Nick

icon

Best answer by eharris04 2 April 2019, 19:30

View original

4 replies

Badge +17

For this, you should be able to reference that easily.

for #1 on the screenshot above, you shouldn't need the display name as this is internal and won't show up to the user but they will get the email/task

for #2 on the screenshot above, you should be able to use the workflow context variables automatically to get the right data for displaying to the user.

Badge +1

Thanks eharris,

I am aware of those and while that would work most of the time, if someone who was not the creator restarted the workflow, it would show that users name instead of the user who created the item initially.

-Nick

Badge +17

@nicholas_zaczko Sorry for that confusion. You are correct that it would pull the workflow initiator. 

Have you tried using the List Lookup > Current Item > Created By > Display Name

This will only pull in the person who created the item and references it as their display name, not login ID.

Badge +1

@eharris04 ,

Thanks that is what I was looking for. I was trying to add it from the references on the right side of the pages as opposed to adding it through the advanced lookup. Also didn't realize what that "X" next to the field did. I never would have guessed that opened up additional properties. I just thought it was a cancel button or something.

Thanks!

-Nick