Solved

Permissions assigned to wrong person

Hi

I use "Office 365 update item permissions" actions to assign permissions to a task .  The issue I have is same permission is assigned to people who have similar names(only part of the name is similar) in the company. For example I give Contribute permission to the Task holder and his name is David, Lea. I have task holder name stored inside a variable called "txtComorFinanceManager" and I use that to assign the permission as below. But the action assigns same  permission to a person called Lea, Kate as well who was not supposed have permission. Sometimes it doesn't assign the permission to correct person but two other people who had part of their name similar to the assignee got the permissions. 

8553iC6AE923B556E145B.jpg

This happens with other assign permission tasks as well in the workflow where people who have part of the name as assignee gets permission assigned.

Any idea why this is happening and how to resolve this.

Regards,

Kavirana

P:S: I have lot of other workflows deployed in the same tenant on different site collections but have not come across this issue before.

icon

Best answer by nico 30 July 2020, 10:41

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

You should use Email (WorkEmail) in your varaible instead of the name of your user.

When you work with user, always user Email to prevent any homonym problem.

Userlevel 5
Badge +19

@kavirana I believe that @nico has the right answer here. Especially if you are holding values inside your variable in a comma separated format (such as 'David, Lea'). The lookup API is most likely seeing that as two separate entities and trying to resolve out the first that it finds. Using the unique email should resolve that issue.

@butlerj and @nico ,

Thank you very much for your replies. I believe when I assigned the Task Approvers to variables in the workflow, had I used Person/Group as the type of the variable instead of Text , this issue wouldn't have occurred. Because Person/Group type uses the "login name" by default and it is a unique value. 

Regards,

Kavirana