Solved

People picker in repeating section with multiple values used to generate email

• 20 April 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

We have a use case where we are using a list to orchestrate Meeting Minutes, in which, there is a repeating section for "Action Items." In this repeating section, there is "Item," "Responsible User(s)," and "Due Date." We want to generate an email to each "responsible user(s)" letting them know they're assigned an action item. I'm able to get the XML and parse it and everything works great as long as there aren't multiple users in the People Picker field. In the case of there being more than one responsible user for an item, we're fine with just sending one email to both (all) of them, I just can't "extract" that in a usable way. 

icon

Best answer by courtney_shelto 21 April 2017, 20:25

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

When you get the individual user from the xml parsing, is it first saved as a person/group variable, then put into the Send Notification action?

Then when you add in multiple values, what is the type variable, is it string (SingleLineText) or still in a collection? What is the output? Is it email@email.com;email2@email.com;

If you add a PG (PersonGroup) variable it should be fine, if you add a collection of PG variables, it should also work, but when coming from an XML parsing, it may not be typed correctly. Everything seems as if a string unless you specifically convert the type.

Maybe just output the values you have in history and see if there is a type problem or format problem.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I tried the PG variable; it's like it can't read it. It only grabs the first person then a bunch of ;;; after, as though it knows there's "someone else" but can't do anything about it.

Line 1 is the XML raw, line 2 is the XML after the replacements (From Vadim's blog), line 3 is if I get the item from the collection (string of users) and assign it to a PG variable. You can see the trailing semicolons after Mark's name. There is another person in there, it's cut off by the character limit in the logging. Here's the full XML from the plaintext multi-line field I'm writing it to

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Ok, I was able to use regular expression to extract the email addresses, then iterate through those (as they're stored in a collection) and add them to a text variable in format emailAddress@place.net; emailAddress2@place.net etc so that they could go into a PG variable and be read!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Perfect, That was my next thought to have to extract them out. Great going to get this working and providing your solution!

Badge +1

Hi @courtney_shelto,

I am having similar situation. How did you get rid of the characters before / after the email address? I just want to extract the email address but it comes withh the special characters and membership text. can you please help me with it?

Thanking you,
akash