Solved

Office 365 Backup

• 12 February 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Folks,

All of my work is done on-prem so I am not too deep into 365. This is a bit off the normal topic but the community here is likely to have a few good answers. I am helping out  to establish SharePoint for a non-profit that has Office 365 and needs an affordable but reliable solution to backup and safeguard the content on the new SharePoint environment.

I am not a farm admin but rather an SCA so I am a little out of my wheelhouse here.

What are all of you folks using?

Thanks and Regards,

Patrick Kelligan

icon

Best answer by praios81 13 February 2019, 13:45

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hmm,

it depends what the backup is needed for. Usually backups are made for reducing the risk of malfunctioning hardware. This is not neccessary in Office 365 as the data is spread over a lot of locations. Your data is not depending on a piece of hardware anymore.

Besides of this backups are used to prevent users from accidentially deleting stuff. This can be adressed by using azure information protection to label stuff you do not want users to delete or share externally. Labeled content can't be deleted and everything else can be restored in a definable period so there is no need to backup stuff in most of the cases.

As Office 365 is a constantly changing service, a complete backup will not be achievable. There are tools that can backup documents from a SharePoint site or something like this but you will not be able to backup a whole Office 365 site with documents, planner, teams conversations and so on and restore them at a later point of time.

Considering this it depends on your specific requirements to a backup. Who needs the backup for what and what would you like to see after a restoration of your backup.

Best regards

Enrico

Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Thanks Enrico! We are moving ahead. I appreciate your response!