Nintex form with a repeating section

• 2 March 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi

I've created a Nintex form for a SharePoint list and the form includes a repeating section. The fields in the repeating section are not connected to columns in the SharePoint list.

Can I 'get' to the data held in the fields in the repeating section?

1 reply

Query the list and get the XML Dump field and store it in a multiple line of text variable MLOT_XMLDump.
Use a Query XML action to retrieve the Item node from the XML dump and store it in a collection variable named Collection_Item.
Add a For each action that'll loop through Collection_Item and stores the result in a multiple line of text variable named MLOT_Item.
In the loop, add a Query XML action. Have the variable MLOT_Item set up as the XML source. Add as many outputs as you need. Here is where the named fields come full circle. If you didn't have named fields, you'd be dealing with some nasty GUIDs. Instead of pulling your hair out, you can keep your hair because you, dutiful blog reader, named your fields nicely.

In the screen below, you can see that the controls Notes, Quantity, and others are easily retrieved. All I need to do is set the Xpath to be /Item/ControlName. If you have a repeating section within your repeating section, store the result in a multiple line of text variable.
From here, you can do as you please with the data.
Parse that XML
No this section's title isn't a typo. If you have a repeating section within your repeating section, you'll need to parse that XML on its own. In the last section, I told you that when parsing the XML dump, you'll need to store any nested repeating sections in a multiple lines of text variable.

To make that repeating section consumable and not be raw XML, use a Set Variable action after the XML action in the previous section. Set the multiple line of text variable to equal fn-XmlDecode(your MLOT variable).

After the variable has been XML decoded, add a Query XML and repeat step 4 in the previous section.

If you're repeating section's repeating sections have repeating sections, first of all woah. Secondly, you'd need to repeat this for each nested repeating omegle shagle sections.