Solved

Nintex Office 365 custom workflow status values and reporting

• 18 January 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge +5

Is it possible to create views or filters based Office 365 Nintex Workflow status column? I am not able to create views or filters based on the status column because the that column does not appear in "Filter By".

Nintex Office 365 does not have Reporting capabilities similar to on premises version. I am curious how folks are building reports based on workflow status in Office 365. 

icon

Best answer by TomaszPoszytek 18 January 2017, 20:29

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can create a normal text column that you will use for filtering and views, and just use "Set field in current item" action to update it's value according to the workflow status.

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I do also think status column can be queried when creating a report using PowerBI and your list as the data source. Haven't check it but as the column is available via the REST API I guess you can also build fancy PowerBI reports using it's values

Badge +5

Thanks ‌ 

I have a fairly large workflow and several "Set workflow status" activities. I thought about "Set Field activity" and setup a text column with workflow status. It adds more bulk to the workflow. If there is no other option, I guess I will have to use this. 

Badge +5

Thanks Tomasz Poszytek Power BI is definitely an option. I played with it a bit and was able to create decent reports.Here are some tips in case some one is using for workflow reporting.

When PowerBi imports SP list, hyperlink columns are imported as [Record] because hyperlink is not standard data type. Workflow status column is hyperlink and you need to convert hyperlink to normal text. 

Take a look this post:

Solved: Getting hyperlink column from SharePoint List Retu... - Microsoft Power BI Community 

If you follow the steps in this post, you will be able to split a hyperlink column into 2 columns : Hyperlink text and hyperlink. 

After you create a text column for workflow status column (which is hyperlink), you will be able to use it in reports. 

Include the text  (ends with .Description) column in your reports. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, that is exactly what I was talking about. This "convertion" is called "expanding". You can expand column that returns "Objects" into separate values from the object. The same you have to do when you try to get "e-mail" from "People or Group" SP column. I really like powerbi and I'm using it to any kind of reports in O365. I find it the best counterpart from "modern apps" collection (powerbi, flow and powerapps) Microsoft introduced as the replacements for existing apps and functionalities (ssrs‌, sharepoint designer and infopath.). I'm glad I could have helped you 

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

‌ if you found a better solution for your question can you share it with us? Otherwise do you find any from my answers as correct, so that others will find it helpful?

Regards,

Tomasz