How do I update an document's properties when all I have is the document's URL?

• 7 December 2015
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

I have a document library with a number of folders, each containing a project workbook (excel file) and any other documents for that particular project.

Document library fields:

- Project Title (aka Document Title)

- Archived (Choice: Yes,No)

Document library tree example:

Project A (folder)

- Project A.xlsx (workbook)

- Other Project A Document.xlsx (another document)

- Project A Support Document.doc (another document)

I also have a list that serves as a master project list with high level information on a number of different projects along with a link to the project workbook in the document library.

Relevant list item fields:

- Project Title

- Project Workbook URL (Hyperlinked to workbook)

- Project Status (Choice: submitted, active, archived)

Note: The Project Title as used in the List is identical to the Project Title as used on the Document Library's Workbook.

When a project is marked as being complete in the master project list, the corresponding project workbook in the document library needs to be marked as being archived.   I have the document's URL from the list item.  How do I use it to communicate it to Nintex in a way that allows the item to be identified and then updated?  Alternatively, it would be ok if all items in the folder (not just the main workbook) were marked as archived but I haven't found a way to get that to work either.

4 replies

Badge +3

Hi Beth Massie​,

I think you could use the "Call Web Service" action and query the following SharePoint web service to get the list and item ID by URL: SiteData.GetURLSegments Method (Site Data)

As the "Update Item" action does not allow dynamic values for the target list, in order to update the document's properties, you will also have to use a web service call. This could be done via Lists.UpdateListItems Method (Lists)​.

- Christian

Badge +4

Hi Beth,

You can also use the action update item by filtering on the absolute url of your document if you have this data

Badge +2

Thank you!  Damien's seemed like an easier option so I tried that first and it worked.  I do appreciate your taking the time to provide me with a solution though.

Badge +2

That worked!  I don't know why I was having issues with it before but now it's working so thank you!