Multiple Languages on Form/ Lookup Formula

• 7 August 2020
  • 1 reply

I need to create a form which displays the field titles in the language of a territory chosen at the head of the form.

• So far I have managed to use a Calculated Value field linked to a lookup list to display different language text, using the following Calculated Value formula: 
    • lookup("Translation Lookup","Language",ChooseLanguage,"Translation")
      • where "Translation Lookup" is the name of the lookup list (see attached).
      • "Language" is the lookup list column I'm filtering on.
      • Choose Language is the value chosen in the Territory drop-down list on the form (see attached), and is used to filter the "Language" column in the lookup list.
      • "Translation" is the column in the lookup which is returning in the Calculated Value field.
  • What I really need though is a formula which applies two conditions - i.e. in a lookup list with translations for say ten questions in three different languages, I want to to say, "show me the translation for Question 5 in Language 2" (where the Question # is different per Calculated Value field). Is there a formula which will allow me to do this?
  • Also, is there a better way to do this, assuming that I'd like the data entered in the form to return in a list? I figure as an alternative I could create list columns per language per question, plus a set of non-language master columns per question,  and then use a workflow to update the master columns with the data entered in the fields of the chosen language, but this seems like the long way round to do something which should be easier/ less complex?

1 reply

I believe I've answered my own question as follows: 

• I've replaced the Language and QU columns in the Translation Lookup List with a column containing the two combined - i.e. English1, French1, Spanish 1, English2, French2, Spanish 2, etc. - so that the value in the new combined column is unique.

• I've updated the formula in the Calculated Value formula to read: 

• lookup("Translation Lookup","Language",ChooseLanguage+X,"Translation")

• where X is the question number.

I'm still open to suggestions if anyone has a better way of doing this.