Making a drop down blank based on Rule

• 19 November 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge +3

Hi,

*Edit*: I am using new responsive designer

I created a Tab functionality using Radio buttons and created Rules to make the fields/drop downs blank based on the selection. This was working fine few days back and today while testing, I found the drop down list is not getting blank. Below is the scenario:

From Radio button (TAB Function)

select: Option 1

Option 1 group will be visible and user can select a value from the drop down (Choice 1)

In case he selects Option 2 from the Tab

Group 1 will be hidden and Group 2 will be visible and the user can select a value from this Choice 2 as well.

I created a rule that if the user goes back to Option 1, the drop down value should be blank (like a new form). This was working fine but now the drop down value is keeping the old value.

I am attaching the export for reference. 
Let me know if anyone is facing this issue.
Thank you.

AK

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
If I understand your observation correctly, Nintex is retaining a value is selected and then control gets hidden then made visible again. Sorry to say but I believe that is the proper handling of any control.

Unfortunately the Rules don't support setting or clearing the value of a List Lookup control.

I recommend submitting this feedback about clearing ability in the Form Rules for List Lookup controls in the following site:
https://nintex.uservoice.com/forums/218293-4-nintex-forms-for-office-365

I'll vote for it when you post this feature request.
Badge +3

Hi @v-tmasenko,

Thank you for your response, this feature was working earlier. I am not sure why it is not working now. Secondly, if you make the List Lookup control a "required" field, although it will retain the same choice which was selected earlier but will also show a validation message "This is a required field".

See at attached image for reference. 

Kind regards,

AK

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
That last screenshot looks like a bug.
You should open a case with Nintex.

By the way, have you explored using "Configure pages" option in the top-right of the Form Designer for a built-in multi-tab look? If you select the Navigation Layout to be Horizontal then you have tabs at the top of the form that you're emulating using radio buttons and hide/show rules. This won't solve the ability to clear list lookup control values challenge but at least you don't have to create a bunch of rules to simulate a tabbed form look.

Here's a video showing the key changes in the November update that came out a couple of weeks ago. I advanced the view to jump ahead to show the vertical tabs view. You'll want to select the page property of Navigation layout to be Horizontal.
https://youtu.be/B1G_3-FcIm8?t=171
Badge +3

Hi,

Yes I have explored that feature but my requirement is little different and I cant opt that. So have to manage it in the same layout. Thank you for the suggestion, will definitely be keeping it in mind for future.

Kind regards,

AK

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Add a clause to your hide rule to also clear the value.
The later when that control is made visible again, the value will be pre-cleared.
Badge +3

That didn't work, still having the same behavior. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I have found in a responsive form, I was able to create a rule to blank out the lookup dropdown. I created an additional "text - short" field. txtField. I connected this to my lookup dropdown. When I set the txtField to blank it blanks out the lookup dropdown. test this without a rule.

ddbField - connected to a lookup

txtField - connected to ddbField

Make a selection in ddbField, txtField should populate with the selected value.

Now clear the value in txtField, ddbField will clear

in the end you can hide the txtField