Lookup function help docs inconsistent; Lookup not returning multiple results (array)

• 17 January 2020
  • 10 replies

Hi,

I have a problem with the Lookup function in Forms (Nintext for O365); the lookup itself is functioning (slowly) if the lookup returns a single record, but if there are multiple records matching the 'filter value', it still only returns the one record (first match).

I looked at the help from within Designer, which says lookup(List Name, Filter Column Name, Filter Value, Output Column Name, Server Relative URL, Array Separator), so I added the array separator, but this didn't change anything for me (URL parameter = "").

But then I looked at the help online, and the documentation is very inconsistent and confusing, and the Lookup has different parameters in the documentation; these articles don't take "Server Relative URL" and "Array Separator" at positions 5 and 6, but they take "multiple values" and "values data type":

https://help.nintex.com/en-US/office365/Forms/ResponsiveClassicForms/ReferenceOther/LookupRuntimeFn-ref.htm

https://help.nintex.com/en-US/O365/Default.htm#cshid=3077

https://help.nintex.com/en-US/Office365/Designer/Functions/Lookup.htm

Can someone help and clarify this and/or can the documentation get corrected?

Also, how do I effectively get multiple values returned using the Lookup function?

Couldn't spot an existing post about this either, which baffles me since this seems like something others would run into as well??

Thanks!

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,

The online documentation is correct.
Adding the word true in the 5th position will return multiple items.

Thanks for the reply @SimonMuntz but that doesn't seem to be the case in Designer:

Do you know more about this 

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Well that explains a lot. The help file is for Classic and Responsive forms.
The help in the designer is for the "New Responsive forms" and is correct.
Thanks, that indeed explains a lot *ahem* .. but still, this online help is even less useful than the help offered in Designer; it only mentions the first 4 parameters: https://help.nintex.com/en-US/office365/Designer/Functions/Lookup.htm

Would be great if that could get updated. That's 1, and have no solution to my 2nd point: how do I get multiple values returned using this Lookup function?

Thanks!
I've worked around this issue by running a WF when adding an item to the library that does additional work. Not the most elegant solution but it works.

I understand that I could've chosen classic or the 'normal' responsive forms as a workaround instead, but that also comes with other limitations. It would be great to get some confirmation if the new responsive forms support multiple values retrieved.

Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi @EuanGamble 

I have been trying to return multiple results using the Lookup runtime function with the new responsive designer but as per @VvK I cannot get this working either.

The best I can do is one result.

Are  multi return results working?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @VvK,

What sort of column are you looking up? I will see if I can replicate it.

Could you send me your form to euan.gamble@nintex.com ?

Thanks,

Euan

Hi @EuanGamble,

I created some dummy records in Excel, and created a SharePoint list from the Excel 'table' using the out-of-the-box feature in Excel:

This results in the list you see in the screenshot below. I believe this to be a normal SharePoint list (and it behaves as such) but I thought I'd include this informaiton anyway.

In this list, I'm using the Application Number to get the Account Number, the Customer Name and the CIF. As you can see, there can be multiple records returned for a single Application Number:

Not sure what @SimonMuntz used to replicate this.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @VvK,

I understand. So you want to return multiple list items properties in a lookup function. At this time the Lookup function will only return queries from a single list item. The "Array Separator" in the lookup property in New Responsive relates to querying a multi-choice column.

We will look to add functionality to query multiple list items in the Lookup function in a late release.

Cheers,

Euan

Badge +2
Well that's annoying. Lookup function's not particularly useful then. Client's not gonna be happy, but at least I can prove I'm not the one messing up. Thanks for the confirmation, this has been driving me NUTS.