Keep Person / Group Variable Off of Initiation / Start Form

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hey folks:

Every time I create a Person / Group variable in o365 Workflow, it immediately sets it to appear on the initiation / start form and won't let me remove it.  I do not want it to appear on that form.

Is this the case for everyone or am I doing something wrong / do I have something messed up somewhere?

Cheers & thank you,

rhia

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I have the same but I just got used to it as most of the times my workflows are triggered automatically But yes I can confirm exact behavior in my env.

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

PHEW. At least I'm not crazy. That's good to know.

...So the question, then, is ... why? Why does it do that? What is the reasoning?

‌  ‌  

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi ‌, I can confirm too that for me it's the same..and I don't understand why it should appear on initiation form by default and it's not editable...

Badge +1

Hey Rhia,

As you know we have several different data types for variables, and these can be enabled to show up on the workflows start form (when initiation is set to Yes within the variable menu). What is less know, and the reason that some variables *must* have initiation set to Yes, is that there are actually two different variable types within SharePoint 2013 workflows (which Nintex designed workflows are in O365). 

Microsoft has a great breakdown on this difference here: Use variables in workflows - SharePoint, but long story short, while we call the variable a 'People/Group' variable, under the hood it is an Initiation Parameter of the workflow, and as such much be shown on the start form. Some rules in SharePoint you just can't break.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

That's for everyone.

Do you want to change it?

Vote for it >>> Allow Person variable to not be an initiation variable – Customer Feedback for Nintex 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Thanks Jonathan! I'll be voting in the thread that ‌ provided -- was just curious around the logic of why it's like that! Seemed odd. 

Badge +7

Casted my vote.

Badge +8

Same for me as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I've noted it in an older post somewhere as well. Always been trouble.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Oh funny, just noticed I created that idea in uservoice. That's where I complained about it! ha.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

https://nintex.uservoice.com/forums/218291-3-nintex-workflow-for-office-365/suggestions/17285132-allow-person-variable-to-not-be-an-initiation-vari

‌ aren't you sad that I know your name now!? Bwahahha!

Wondering if you can give us update or feedback on this User Voice item from November 2016. Not sure if this lays in the hands of Workflow team or Form team since it's on a start form but generated by the WF.....

....heck, let's throw ‌ in here for fun.

Badge +11

I can't find that idea in user voice   Really want to vote for it.

Badge +4

Voted!