Solved

Issue with Office 365 Update Item Permissions-Action

• 2 March 2019
  • 4 replies

I've created a simple Nintex workflow with one action to update item permissions.  See attachments below. 

It keeps returning the error, 'the username format is invalid'.  Under User or Group Name in the configuration I've both tried to key in a Display Name, email address and Sharepoint group but with the same results. 

On the same list item I've created Sharepoint 2010 workflow to update item permissions, and it runs with a successful result. 

Any ideas what's causing the error?

321i5CD38A04550A4CE4.png  

318i5C50E2302F638B0F.png319iF7C22708A335079E.png320iA064FF089DCAFF8B.png

icon

Best answer by Tanbir17 15 March 2019, 12:38

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

One thing I noticed is that you have the Filter set to update all list item permissions. You would probably want to set that to "Update items only when the following is set to":

• Update items when the column: ID
  • is equal to
  • {Current item: ID}

Also, you should output the value of the Created By user to the History list to see what the value is.

I did as suggested but with the same result.  :(  See screenshot.  It also shows the value of the Created By user to History.  

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Hi,

try to use the "Advanced Lookup" option, to put the "Created By" using the "Email" property.
If that doesn't work, create a text variable and assign it, again by using "Advanced Lookup" created by user's email. Then use the variable instead of the field.

Regards,
Tomasz
Badge +3

The issue was resolved by reviewing the account used within the Connection Manager.

The account used was in the following format username@domain.sharepoint.com or using MFA authentication. After creating a new service account in the following format username@domain.onmicrosoft.com the workflow completed as expected.

Reviewing the following knowledge based article helped resolve the issue.

Office 365 Actions Fail With Error: 'The Username Is Invalid Or Does Not Exist'