I have 10 different task assigned to one user. I want to create workflow that will send only one email to user for all the 10 different Task. Please help

Hello Team,

My self Hemant Sonawane. I would like to create workflow which will send only one email for multiple task assigned to One user from sharepoint list for approval & adding comments. kindly help

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi!

That is no possible straightforward. I mean - using the "Assign a task" or "Start a task process" action will always trigger e-mail sending. If you want to create a task without sending an e-mail, then what you have to do is to create a task item using the "Create list item" action.

But! Warning! Important! This way your workflow will not wait for the task action to complete.

Again, to simulate that you will have then to use "Wait for field change" using the ID of the task created in the previous action, and the rule for field "Status" to be "Completed".

AND! Warning! Important! Such created task will not appear on the workflow status page  (and I have found no workaround for that so far).

Right, to summarize:

1. Use "Create list item" action to create tasks so that you will not trigger sending an email to the assignee.
  2. Create "Wait for item change" action to pause the workflow until created task is completed.

Next you need to create a task list workflow, that will be triggered once a new item is created. Then the workflow should query the task list to get all tasks assigned to a specific assignee and are not completed. After gathering all tasks, if number of all found tasks is equal 10 (or you need to determine a different rule, when that workflow is supposed to send notification), you should simply use "Send email" action to the assignee putting in the body links to all tasks from your list and that's it

Warning! Important! That way you will not be able to use "Lazy approvals"

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi hemant sonawane‌,

I agree totally with Tomasz, if you want you can have a look on my Blog Post that tries to explain how to build such a workflow that will query your task list and send grouped notification:  (on Xchange I've also posted an exported sample of the workflow)

Regards

Giacomo

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Jesse, I cannot recall such option in Office 365. Have you tested  in this environment? Maybe I have omitted it, but... If that works, it would be surely the most straightforward way

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Tomasz Poszytek‌ - 

Thanks for catching that... but yes, you are correct, we cannot disable the initial email notification from tasks, thus, rendering my suggestion mute

Perhaps that needs to be added to the user voice. 

**EDIT**

Removed the comment so that it does not confuse anyone. I will have to do some digging as this topic is something that we will face as well soon enough!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No problem. Unfortunately O365 and on-prem have their differences. From my experience I can tell, that usually advanced scenarios, that are easy in on-prem, require a lot more effort in O365.

Regards,

Tomasz

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi

Just a quick question on your workaround for this annoying lack of functionality. The two WAIT actions in O365, don't quite fulfill the needs, or at least I didn't read your post correctly. The "Wait for change in Current Item" will obviously only look for changes in the current item so it won't look at the workflow task list for it's change. The other Wait action will only allow you to look for create or modified events so this doesn't quite fulfill the need either as a task could obviously change without being completed.

I think the solution is to have a status column in the current item, and a workflow on the workflow tasks list that fires when a task is completed and updates the status in the original item towhatever status is required to move the workflow on again.

Very messy.