Solved

How to assign a task to a person from a list?

• 20 April 2017
  • 3 replies

I am trying to assign a task to a person stored in a "Person or Group" column in a list based on a value in another column in that list, and can't figure out how to do that or find any examples online. 

I have a "Query List" that looks up the person, the "Get Item from Collection" that's supposed to get the person from the List Variable that was filled in the "Query List", because apparently you can't do that in one step anymore like you could in the previous version, but I keep getting various errors, like the one below. When I select the Person column in the "Query List", I am forced to pick a field (which wasn't the case before), and I think part of the problem is I don't know which field to choose, since I need the "whole" person, but I tried a few, and keep getting errors. I have also tried using text variable instead of a person in the "Get Item from Collection", but that didn't work either.

The query to field 'OData__x0076_cu4' is not valid. The $select query string must specify the target fields and the $expand query string must contains OData__x0076_cu4

Here's what I am trying to do:

202037_pastedImage_1.png

icon

Best answer by bamaeric 21 April 2017, 02:51

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Try using the "Set Workflow Variable" action instead of the "Query List" and "Get Item from Collection".  Create a text variable and set the Value using Advanced Lookup (see image below) to get the user account.  Then use the text variable to assign the task to the Participant.

Badge +6

Hi Alex,

Here you go .

All you need to do is , use "Query List Action " and save the output in a WF Variable (Text/String). [You needn't use any collection variable here as the list have to queried in such a way it returns 1 value] . Now pass this variable to the Assignee in the task configuration wizard. it should work . I have done this and it worked for me .

Thanks

Bashya Rajan A

True. This also worked for me.