Solved

How do you use the O365 App Step (after the feature has been activated)?

• 6 September 2016
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

BEFORE RESPONDING PLEASE NOTE:

• This workflow is being used in an Office 365 SharePoint environment. Please do not offer suggestions for any Nintex WF On-Prem solutions.
  • I have activated the Workflows can use app permissions feature. Please do not suggest that I need to activate the feature or provide links to the other articles that describe how to activate the feature.

HERE'S THE SITUATION:

• I've created an Office 365 Workflow for a SharePoint list.
  • I have placed an App Step action.
    • Within the App Step I've added a an Office 365 update item permissions (Permissions) action.
    • When I attempt to configure this action, I still need to enter a Username and Password for "The user to perform the update" value.
  • Is this by design, or am I doing something wrong?
  • I'm expecting that within an App Step I would not need to provide a Username and Password. I'm under the impression that the entire  purpose of an App Step is to elevate permissions.
  • However, I'm only guessing because there is very little information about the App Step in the Help documentation.

190657_pastedImage_5.png

icon

Best answer by TomaszPoszytek 24 January 2017, 22:38

View original

2 replies

Badge +7

Probably because "Update item permission" can be use outside an App Step...so the settings are the same wether you use it onside or outside. (avoid to develop 2 different actions for the same thing)

Another reason: you could need to execute the "Update permission" with a specific account, different from default admin....

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Larry Bolton‌ unfortunately this behavior is "by design". The office 365 nintex‌ actions needs credentials of the user, because you are able to use them, to manipulate the data that is not being certainly stored in the current site (but elsewhere in current Site Collection or even in another Site Collection ). So yes, even though you put it in the app step‌ action, those credentials are still required.

Years ago there was this question: https://community.nintex.com/message/14584 started by ‌ which started a discussion about a possible, "universal" Nintex Service Account for such actions, but so far there was no response and status update from Nintex

As long as nothing like the Service Account is provided, you have to manually provide those credentials. I hope it clarifies your doubts.

Regards,

Tomasz