Solved

How can I protect attachments on 365 Forms?

Badge +11

On Responsive 365 forms, I can disable the attachment controls using a rule, but users are still able to delete the attached file if they open the form in edit mode - even though the control is supposed to be disabled. It only seems that adding new attachments is disabled. Deleting the current ones is NOT disabled. Is there any way of disabling the deletion function, too. I would still like the attachements to be openable, though.

There may be a way of doing this through the HTML link control - but I have several attachment controls, all of which I want to make read-only after they are disabled.

How can this be done in 365 Responsive Forms?

icon

Best answer by EuanGamble 9 August 2018, 08:54

View original

19 replies

Badge +11

Hi shaunlub

Could you please specify how have you setup the rule to disable the attachment control? 

Badge +11

Hi, thanks for the reply. I am using a rule that is looking at an Item Property (SharePoint column), mostly. Here this rule is looking at 2 columns-

With Ready to Submit equal to Yes, and MOC Status equal to Primary Review, this control should be locked....

I cannot add an attachment, but I am free to delete it...

Badge +11

Can you modify the condition: Ready-to-Submit-YN !='No' && MOC Status !='Returned to Initiator' ? 

If this does not work, can you tell what type of column are they? choice - Radio button and Single line text?

Badge +11

Thank you, but that made no difference here.

The columns are Yes/No and Single line text.

Badge +11

I just did the test: the attachment is disabled.

Badge +11

Nope - the delete button is still working on my attachment controls.

I've also had to change the rule back to checking for equal to 'Yes'. I have tried different attachment controls; moving controls off from panels. No different.

I would ask that you test, but set the default of your Yes/No column  to No => this is usually set to Yes - so when the form opens this is already Yes. It needs be default No, otherwise controls are locked by rules, then be set to No by the form. On next opening the control should be locked, checking only on column values.

All other input controls in this section of the form are hidden using similar rules. I have tried copying these rules, too - they do not disable the attachment delete button.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi Shaun Junor-Oiwa‌,

Rather than Checked!='No' can you try Checked==true

Cheers,
Euan

Badge +11

Unfortunately, no further forward. Using ==true, everything is editable.

The column is Yes/No, with No as the default value.

I've tried bringing the comparison onto the form as a calculated value containing the column:

Using contains() instead of equals() or =='Yes', I still get the control to half-lock: i.e. unable to add an attachment (Add file button is locked); but clicking on the X mark does delete the attachment file.

Badge +11

I can also reproduce this on a brand new list/form. Which convinces more that this is a bug. I can send a copy of this form export file if anyone is curious.

The X button is greyed out - but is still active.

Badge +11

And here was the rule on the attachments control...which only half works (disabling adding but not deleting attachments)

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi Shaun Junor-Oiwa‌,

Can you please raise a ticket with support? 

Thanks,

Euan

Badge +11

It seems like this may only be an issue with Edge browser.

But, I am still left with the problem of leaving attachments open to deletion or making them inaccessible (by locking them or hiding them).

Rules for the attachment control only allow disable or hide - making attachments inaccessible - i.e. meaningless.

Ideally, there would be a way of setting the control mode to Display - as is possible with the Hyperlink control - so links to attached files are available, but there is no way of deleting them.

Badge +11

Hi,

This again could be your browser issue as you figured it out. For me, when disabled, the links to the attachments are available and can be clicked but you cannot make changes/delete the links.

Badge +11

Yes - Edge was the issue with the delete icon still being active. The browser is not supported (did not know this until yesterday. and have changed my default browser under win 10)

But I still do not get an active file link in any browser for the disabled attachment control - same experience on different win 10 pcs and under different logins.

I will consult with other team members to see if they also experience this.

Badge +11

I have confirmed with a colleague, that disabled attachment links DO NOT OPEN for us at all. Could anyone give us any advice on how to proceed with this? Any diagnostics that could help us track down the problem cause?

Badge +11

In my opinion, this is not a bug. Disabling the control using Rule should/would not leave the link to the attachments active. This is how disable feature works on all other fields as well.

If you want users to open the form in Edit mode, all the fields will be editable if they are not disabled. You cannot apply permissions on a Field (column) to make it read only.

Alternatively, you can grab the link to the attachments and then provide them in another field,  

but I have not tried this in responsive form.

Badge +11

If this is by design, then it is not a bug, but it is a clear and distinct lack of functionality.

We are in the process of migrating InfoPath forms to 365 Nintex Forms - Attachments in InfoPath can be locked, with the files still accessible. We will need to explain to our internal customer why we are giving them less functionality.

While many developers may produce forms that will only opened and submitted once, I have many forms that pass from submitter to various approvers in sequence - each with their own panel, with input fields open only to their IDs, disabled to other users - but they still need to read all the submitters input data, and any added by previous managers or approvers as attachments.

Now the supporting files attached by the submitter should be visible to all the approvers, and anyone reviewing the form as historical data, later.

I actually don't understand having the ability to lock an attachment control that has files attached - basically making the attachment control useless.

By querying the indeterminate number of attachments, and getting links, I would have to add many hyperlink controls to the form that I may not need not need for every panel that may have attachments.And for each of these controls I would have to add columns.

Badge +11

I have added this a suggestion for improvement

https://nintex.uservoice.com/forums/218293-4-nintex-forms-for-office-365/suggestions/35066104-allow-files-on-disabled-attachment-controls-to-be

If not in the current version of 365 forms, I would hope something can be done in Universal Forms.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Thanks Shaun Junor-Oiwa‌. I will have a chat to the engineering team.