Improving search performance of SmartObjects

• 24 July 2012
  • 3 replies

Badge +8

I'm using SmartObjects in numerous places throughout are application and have been a bit disappointed in their performance, especially in regard to search.  For example, if I use the SmartObject automatically created for my process, it takes a minimum of 5 seconds to return even simple search results (e.g. search by process instance ID).  Is there anything that can be done to improve the performance like adding indexes to the SQL backend or anything like that?

3 replies

Badge +6

What is K2 version? What type of Smartobjects are they? Are you referring to reporting smartobjects? Have you used smartobject tester tool to check if the same delay happens?

Badge +8

K2 v4.6.  I'm referring specifically to the SmartObjects that are automatically created for my process. The same delay happens when opening in the SmartObject tester.

Badge +6

I think the delay is coming from the sql server itself. The reporting smartobjects execute SELECT queries. If you dont have lot of workflow instances, it should not take more than 1-2sec. Usually only the first execution takes time and the rest will execute under a second. It will be easier to troubleshoot if you run a SQL Profiler trace and measure the duration of the queries while executing the smartobject from tester tool.